Ableton or Logic for a beginner - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    Yeah, the thing that is supposed to be cool (that i've never tried / got into) is you can record the session view into the arrange view... so basically you can jam out the loops and turn it into an arrange... it sounds cool in theory. i just never done it
    When I was DJing with live, that's how I recorded my sets. For a while. But I never went back and edited things, so I stopped and just used the resampling input or some other recorder.

I think session view might as well be called either mixer or meters view for actually producing/recording.

But it really does all come down to preferences.

Those two DAWs are probably the best options for beginners. It will really come down to details to chooce between Ableton and Logic. You can't go wrong with any of those.
    Start with Ableton and later on try to learn the interface of Logic, if you know the basics then logic pro will take you a couple of days to be able to use it.
    Logic Pro has better audio filters, Ableton has more friendly interface and also great option for DJing as well.

Tech Wizard

Definitely don't switch. Sadowick Production has a good free ableton course on youtube where he explains each part of the software.

Chris punsalan is a good youtube channel to watch beat making videos using ableton if you're into Hip-Hop. Which was important for me. A lot of the tutorials/videos for Ableton are electronic/dance/house music related and kinda lame. But finding tutorials in your genre really helps make the learning curve more gentle
    Ableton Live 9 || Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 || Akai MPK249 || Novation Launchpad Pro || Rokit 5s G1 || Audio-Technica AT 2035 || EMU MP-7 ||Electrix Tweaker || Audio-Technica ATH-M50 || Sennheiser HD 558

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I would give Garageband a serious look prior to buying Logic. The interface is almost identical to Logic and has many of the same instruments and features and of course its free!

Try creating some basic demo tracks with Garageband, and if you are comfortable, then splash out on Logic. Your Garageband demos will open in Logic and you can finish them properly.

Ableton works best IMHO if your preferred production method is live recording clip / sample based material which can be later polished up later in arrangement view. Where logic has a better Arrangement mode which (again IMHO) lends itself better to visually laying down tracks.

Tech Mentor

The thing is with this question is not that it shouldnt be asked... its just that its all down to personal preference.

Personally I use Ableton, for me it just offers the best workflow and I use it for Radio Shows, Mixes and Production.

I know people in the past that have been avid Logic users and once they used Ableton converted. Likewise the opposite.

It is all down to preference. I think (and I could be wrong) that you are getting more confused with the production side of things and its actually nothing about any software your actually using. Its not an easy road, don't think for a second it will be, but its a rewarding one.

Hope this helps.

P.s in terms of price

I am almost sure Logic is cheaper, and alot of big time producers swear by it, Ableton is more expensive but again, I happily pay the price for it as it just makes complete sense to me. Play around and get a feel of both and whatever feels best for you go for it. There are many tutorials on both.

I strongly suggest Udemy.com. One of the biggest life savers in my time of getting full courses on anything.
    Last edited by manus; 07-21-2018 at 09:54 PM.

I’ve used both. Hands down ableton. I will say, I haven’t used the new logic pro though. It’s still a learning curve if you have never used music software before.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by manus View Post
    The thing is with this question is not that it shouldnt be asked... its just that its all down to personal preference.

Personally I use Ableton, for me it just offers the best workflow and I use it for Radio Shows, Mixes and Production.

I know people in the past that have been avid Logic users and once they used Ableton converted. Likewise the opposite.

It is all down to preference. I think (and I could be wrong) that you are getting more confused with the production side of things and its actually nothing about any software your actually using. Its not an easy road, don't think for a second it will be, but its a rewarding one.

Hope this helps.

P.s in terms of price

I am almost sure Logic is cheaper, and alot of big time producers swear by it, Ableton is more expensive but again, I happily pay the price for it as it just makes complete sense to me. Play around and get a feel of both and whatever feels best for you go for it. There are many tutorials on both.

I strongly suggest Udemy.com. One of the biggest life savers in my time of getting full courses on anything.
    This is actually what it boils down to.

There is no difference in capabilities. Just preferences.

Unfortunately, beginners don't know enough or have enough experience to develop preferences. That's not an insult, just the way things are.

I've probably said it before, but I'll say it again...my preference is for Pro Tools when it comes to producing a track, recording, and mixing.

I can do everything on basically any of them. But, in PT, everything makes sense to me. In Logic, there are a few little things that make me go "WTF?!". In Live, I just don't like the horizontal channel strip layout or the fact that there's no good way to view the mixer without also seeing the clip view, which I pretty much never use like that. Yet for quick things, I use Live. For example...I pretty much always have Live running on my studio computer. It can use different input and output sound cards, and I use software (which exists as plugins) to do the crossover for my subwoofers/satellites. If I were on Windows as opposed to OS X, I'd use Acourate Convolver, but Live works as a stand-in on OS X. Cubase, Nuendo, Studio One, and a few others...they just don't make any sense to me. Sequoia, basically the same (though I haven't played with the demo in a long time).

And I figured out none of that until I had a good idea what I was doing in one of them. I believe I used Logic first. Then Live. Then PT.
    I'm mostapha. I lost control of that acount and just decided to create another one.

Setup Thread

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12