Timecode-Control Noise audible in recordings
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Question Timecode-Control Noise audible in recordings

Hi Guys,

i hope you can help me with this:
    I've bought a new Webcam (Logitech C920) to record my sessions but apparently i am to stupid to set the audio correctly: Whenever I record something (DVS, Traktor Z2) the control noise of the control vinyls is extremely loud, you can barely hear the tracks. What am i missing here?

• Traktor Pro 2
    • Traktor Kontrol Z2
    • Turntables connected to Phono input (just saying)
    • Traktor settings:
    • Audio Device: Traktor Kontrol Z2
    • Output Routing: Master -> Master L/R | Output Record -> Monitor L/R | Mixing Mode -> Internal
    • Webcam Settings: Microphone: Traktor Kontrol Z2
    • Mac Sound: Input & Output: Traktor Kontrol Z2

I hope someone can help me - thanks in advance!

The timecode sound should not be being recorded. Ensure that you do not have the C920's microphone set as an audio input on your recording software.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    The timecode sound should not be being recorded. Ensure that you do not have the C920's microphone set as an audio input on your recording software.
    Hi, thank you for your reply.
    No, that's definitely not it. I have set my Z2 as input source in Quick Time.
    I tested it in internal play mode with the same settings and the sound was perfect. It is definitely the Timecode signal being somehow passed to the recording software on top of the traktor output...

Tech Convert

I didn't check it out yet, but this is what the awesome DJTT team wrote me via Facebook:

If the Z2 master output is being set up as the audio source on your recording software it's possible the cause for this is that it's picking up the Z2's external inputs along with it (the timecode signal). This should be easily solvable by NI via a driver/firmware update.
    In the meantime, a quick & dirty fix would be to connect a RCA to AUX cable from the RCA master outs of the Z2 and plug them into your Mac's headphone jack (which doubles as a line input), then set that in Quicktime. There shouldn't be any noticeable audio quality drop since you are running a quite short RCA to AUX cable.
    Alternatively, you can use something like SoundFlower which will create that cable connection virtually. You'd set Soundflower as the record out in Traktor and then the Soundflower input into Quicktime.

Tech Convert

I feel so stupid, it is still not working with the workaround suggested...

- Firmware of Z2 and Traktor are the latest version
    - I tried the headphone/mic workaround, but i cannot select it as input in the Mac sound settings (i use an adaptor from RCA to line with three rings, so it should work, i guess...)
    - When i set soundflower as Audio Device in Traktor i obviously cannot hear anything nor won't quicktime (soundflower 2 or 64 Ch. as input) receive any signal.

I dunno what to do, i feel pretty stupid actually. Thanks for you help anyways...

I had this problem YEARS ago with DJ Decks and a u46DJ sound card.

There was an option in the driver settings for the u46DJ audio interface called “Thru”. Disabling it stopped the sound of the timecode (that high pitched whining sound) getting to the recording.

Is there a similar setting for the Z2?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

oh my god... I had one of those and thought it was bleeding the input to the output and eventually gave up on it for that reason... I think I still have it in a box somewhere
    MBP 13 2012 | 2x NI Kontrol X1 Mk2 | NI Kontrol F1 | NI Audio 2 | Behringer CMD MM-1 | Sennheiser HD25 Mk2

I’ve still got mine. It’s a bloody good piece of kit. ����
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I’ve still got mine. It’s a bloody good piece of kit. ����
    The u46DJ? Is it class compliant? Will it work with ipad?

Tech Convert

Hm, i might try the Scarlett 2i4 interface - altough it suck having so much gear in action...
    Thanks for your help, guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast