Booked for the wrong warmup set? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Wizard

I guess I had not realized he was on the hook for all the tickets up front when I posted that, yeah thats some shady bullshit

I've always turned down gigs if the promoter ever wanted me to pay anything up front

only pay up front if I am running the night or door

what ended up happening? i think prog house to liquid dnb to dubstep would be a super sick night!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Mastah Kyler View Post
    what ended up happening? i think prog house to liquid dnb to dubstep would be a super sick night!

Went better than I thought but still not ideal:

Got there and the guy on just before the headliner and I talked for 30 mins and actually played B2B to an empty club after doing soundcheck and he barely knew how to use the CDJs so i taught him how to use the FX bank (it’s funny bc he left on the flanger on deck 1 for his whole set...)

Anyway the guy on right after me that i thought was playing DnB actually played dubstep like everyone else but he came up to me in my set and said he lost all but 30 mins of his music so i got to play an hour.

I only played 2 prog songs and wasn’t liking how the crowd was reacting so i dug deep for some old electro stuff like deadmau5 my pet coelacanth and Cthulhu sleeps etc And then played some oliver heldens style future house and ended with a drumstep tune I had. Nobody went crazy ofc till the next guy came on and dropped some hard dubstep but i got a lot of compliments after the show and people saying they actually preferred that housey type of stuff over dub lol.

Guy after also had to use my headphones bc his broke the week before so i left them on stage and everyone including the headliner used them so that’s a cool little thing!

Quote Originally Posted by lmboyer04 View Post
    Went better than I thought but still not ideal:

Got there and the guy on just before the headliner and I talked for 30 mins and actually played B2B to an empty club after doing soundcheck and he barely knew how to use the CDJs so i taught him how to use the FX bank (it’s funny bc he left on the flanger on deck 1 for his whole set...)

Anyway the guy on right after me that i thought was playing DnB actually played dubstep like everyone else but he came up to me in my set and said he lost all but 30 mins of his music so i got to play an hour.

I only played 2 prog songs and wasn’t liking how the crowd was reacting so i dug deep for some old electro stuff like deadmau5 my pet coelacanth and Cthulhu sleeps etc And then played some oliver heldens style future house and ended with a drumstep tune I had. Nobody went crazy ofc till the next guy came on and dropped some hard dubstep but i got a lot of compliments after the show and people saying they actually preferred that housey type of stuff over dub lol.

Guy after also had to use my headphones bc his broke the week before so i left them on stage and everyone including the headliner used them so that’s a cool little thing!
    So basically, you were the only one acting like a professional the whole night...
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    So basically, you were the only one acting like a professional the whole night...
    Haha the headliner was fine and one other support DJ but yea generally it wasn’t too impressive. I guess that’s just what you get sometimes at a low level especially when the place is managed with a similar style. Wish we had some more professional venues around here but I’ll keep looking for now...

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    Given the story...are you surprised?

I'm not.

Musicians do not pay to play, and they do not play/work for free. If they do, they're called victims.

That's not paying dues. That's not working your way up. It's just supporting horrible people who don't care about the scene or anything else that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by lmboyer04 View Post
    Haha the headliner was fine and one other support DJ but yea generally it wasn’t too impressive. I guess that’s just what you get sometimes at a low level especially when the place is managed with a similar style. Wish we had some more professional venues around here but I’ll keep looking for now...
    Didn't the headliner use your headphones?
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Then you can only go on what they’ve told you.

It sounds like they’ve used you to sell tickets. This happens.
    sadly +1 on this.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12