Midifighter Twister: Change shift encoder hold channel?

Default Midifighter Twister: Change shift encoder hold channel?

Hello there,

I'll admit I did not take the proper time searching the forums for this so please forgive me. However a quick search didn't give me what I was looking for.

So in the utility, when I change a particular switch to "shift encoder hold" it allows me to send a different CC while pressing and turning, which is so unbelievably amazing.

My problem is when you use this function (shift and turn), it seems to want to default to midi channel 1 with no option to change it. I certainly could be wrong which is why I'm here so does anyone know how to change it to a different midi channel?

The real issue is I have another controller (cmd touch 64) that I use for macros in my daw Reaper. It's defaulted on channel 1 with no software at all or a way to change it. So I'm sure these two are going to conflict at some point. Anyways, hopefully someone knows how to change it. And to DJTechTools, holy cow this thing is amazing!

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

If you are using the Multiple tool in the Midi Fighter Utility for batch editing that could be it since currently it doesn't work all that well. Next one coming out in the next 2 weeks fixes that.

Also, you might want to change these temporarily to Shift Toggle instead so it's easier to map, otherwise if you release the encoder before switching to a different control or closing the mapping mode it will get overriden.

Since your CMD lives mainly on Ch.1 I suggest changing the regular encoder turn messages to a free bank such as Ch.9 to avoid any chance of crosstalk.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    If you are using the Multiple tool in the Midi Fighter Utility for batch editing that could be it since currently it doesn't work all that well. Next one coming out in the next 2 weeks fixes that.

Also, you might want to change these temporarily to Shift Toggle instead so it's easier to map, otherwise if you release the encoder before switching to a different control or closing the mapping mode it will get overriden.

Since your CMD lives mainly on Ch.1 I suggest changing the regular encoder turn messages to a free bank such as Ch.9 to avoid any chance of crosstalk.
    Padi,

Thanks for responding!

I have no problem getting the function to work. As in, turning the knob sends the channel I set and whatever cc it is. However, when I push the button it changes the channel to channel 1.

I can't see any way to change what channel it changes to. I will try and see how shift toggle does. But like I said, mapping has been no problem once I got the hang of it. I just have the tc 64 married to channel 1.

Really it's not a big deal, I'll just sell the tc64 and get the novation counter part which is mappable.

Anyways, hope you get what I'm saying, no problem mapping, just the push and turn makes it send on channel 1 rather than the channel I set for regular turn.

Also, these replies are going to my spam folder for some reason, I'll try and make sure that doesn't happen anymore. Thanks again.

Tech Convert

Default Specifying Shift Encoder MIDI Channel

Quote Originally Posted by pickflip113 View Post
    Padi,

Thanks for responding!

I have no problem getting the function to work. As in, turning the knob sends the channel I set and whatever cc it is. However, when I push the button it changes the channel to channel 1.

I can't see any way to change what channel it changes to. I will try and see how shift toggle does. But like I said, mapping has been no problem once I got the hang of it. I just have the tc 64 married to channel 1.
    I'm having this exact same issue and would love to know if you ever found a solution. From what I can tell, this is just how the Twister's shift function works (by momentarily changing the MIDI channel when the encoder is held down, but keeping the same CC value). It really seems like this should be user-customizable. Maybe there's a reason they can't code this, but ideally the MF Editor would have a separate section for assigning the Shift Encoder's MIDI Channel and Number... It'd look something like this (I've added the yellow text):
    MIDI Fighter Utility Feature Request.png

Full disclosure: I haven't updated to the very latest version of the MF Editor (because, who knows what might break), but I'd be very shocked if this feature has actually been added. Please let me know if you found a workaround that solved it for you. Thanks!

I'm also having a similar issue. Strangely, my device is sending on channel 5 when the encoder is held and twisted.

It would be great if I could set this channel so it is not hard wired on channel 5.

In an ideal situation, I'd disable all button presses from sending any MIDI out. With the encoder push shift setting, this would give me 128 individual MIDI messages that I could send all from the same channel of my choosing.

Quote Originally Posted by funwithtriangles View Post
    I'm also having a similar issue. Strangely, my device is sending on channel 5 when the encoder is held and twisted.

It would be great if I could set this channel so it is not hard wired on channel 5.

In an ideal situation, I'd disable all button presses from sending any MIDI out. With the encoder push shift setting, this would give me 128 individual MIDI messages that I could send all from the same channel of my choosing.
    Just so you know. Once I figured out what was actually happening, I just worked around it as my use case didn't really necessitate a solution. I'll also add that I never got a clear answer here or from my support ticket. That's not to say they didn't try, they did.