Production tool for christmas ... but what!

Default Production tool for christmas ... but what!

Hi all,

I quite like the idea of the production malarky but find point and click very boring.

Can anyone reccomend a tool i could use to help me get a more hands on feel. I really like the looks of all the stuff that can be done with the APC40 but its a bit out of my price range at the mo at nearly £400

Any suggestions would be very mucy appreciated.

taaaa
    gav
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

IMO a lower priced midi keyboard and a lower priced 16 pad controller (if a pad controller is wanted) is going to take you further then the apc40 from a production stand point.

the other approach is to reduce point and click is to change workflow, going from midi sequencing to something like a tracker which is mostly keyboard input in a logical top to bottom fashion.

If you haven't tried Renoise maybe check out the demo.

good luck
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Charo, many thanks.

So maybe something like the oxygen8 keyboard and a 16 pad controller then, like one of the older cheaper akai units?
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

hey no problem.

keyboard looks good, got knobs for mapping to different things.
    yeah, or korg padkontrol if you can find it in that same range

admittedly i'm not familiar with what else is out there in the oxygen8's price range, so do some research if you like.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

m-audio axiom 49 is cheap, has 8 pads 8 sliders and obviously a keyboard. Looks pretty good

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    If you haven't tried Renoise maybe check out the demo.
    I just purchased Renoise last night - ended up going to bed at 4 AM. It got me seriously thinking about putting up my Maschine for sale and using the cash for other gear. After just an hour of playing around, I bore witness to its power and potential - can't wait until to learn all of the shortcuts, macros, etc.

I remember watching an interview with Nicolay and Phonte on the original (and now-defunct) Remix web site. Nicolay swore that trackers were the best thing since oxygen. That was a while ago - never got into it but fast-forward to last week where I read a good article on how trackers work and then saw a demo video over on the Renoise web site that sold me. I am in love.

The icing on the cake? It works on Windows, Mac and...watch out now...Linux. When you buy a license, you gain the ability to run it on all three platforms and with no constraints how many of your machines you can install it on. No hardware required - I can be on the plane with nothing but my notebook and some headphones and be creative for the entire flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jv6M...layer_embedded

check that out! more as something you can do....the pleasure of renoise is you can do most things with just the keyboard, which is handy cause its always there

some good articles on createdigitalmusic blog recently as well.

with rewire and JACK, the cool thing is its not like you are limited to just using one program either.

I highly recommend people try the demo of renoise. you can save your work, it's a pretty non-restrictive demo, which is almost necessary if it takes you a while to "get" the tracker interface.

happy tracking!
    Last edited by charo; 12-18-2009 at 08:51 PM.