Mobile DJ Set Up

Default Mobile DJ Set Up

Hello!

Just want to ask a few questions/get some clarification on my mobile DJ sound system.

My current PA system set up is...

2 x Alto Truesonic TS210 10" Active PA Speaker
    1 x Alto Truesonic Sub 15" Active PA Subwoofer

I do small gigs for churches, youth events etc but also play wedding venues as well for 200-300 people.

Is my sound system big enough/powerful enough for the gigs that I am doing? What would you suggest I upgrade if I need to?

I don't necessarily want to upgrade but I'm keen to know that I have sufficient gear for what I'm doing.

Thanks team.

If you are doing gigs for venues that fit 200-300 people I think you are bit underpowered. According to the spec sheet of your speakers the max SPL is about 122db. I recently did a wedding in a large hall with a pair of speakers that have a max SPL of 127db(roughly twice the perceived volume of the Alto's) and I felt like I was maxing out the system most of the time just so the people in the back of the hall could hear. I recently added a new pair of speakers that have a max SPL 135db to my lineup so now I should haven't to max out all of the time.

Now you could add more speakers to your setup by getting more of the same or adding louder speakers that have a similar tone/feel as your current ones. If you get louder speakers you can use your old ones to reinforce them or set them up further down the venue and use a delay to reinforce the farthest parts of the room.

Bought a pair of 15” tops for the system. Will that help me?

It will certainly help if you are adding it to your setup. The thing you need to remember about when getting speakers is that size and wattage are not everything. Frequency response graphs tend to help show the tone of the speaker while the Max SPL will show the measured(but sometimes calculated) peak volume the speaker can produce. Other factors that may affect quality are the built in ADCs and DACs if the speaker has a built in amp.

If you are going to use more than 2 speakers in a gig setup I would suggest looking up time alignment tutorials on youtube. Understanding alignment will help when doing delay stacks or when you hear phasing issues during sound checks.
    Last edited by pacific808; 04-05-2018 at 12:56 PM.