LAUNCHPAD mapping 4 decks 4 traktor (w/ leds)
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default LAUNCHPAD mapping 4 decks 4 traktor (w/ leds)

So, I bought a launchpad because i wanted all those buttons, for hot cues, and other such fun.... plus the fact that you could get LED feedback was auh sum!

but damn if that thing was difficult to figure out!!!

first, its meant to play with ableton. Anything else requires novation's automap which is a pain to use with traktor. I thought i was bound by this marriage thinking that the only way to get midi messages from launchpad to other softwware, mainly traktor, was while the automap server was running. Needless to say, that whole thing was terrible. But then i noticed something in traktor's midi controller setup......

if you select "general midi" and choose "launchpad" for in/out ports guess what? you can send midi messages directly from launchpad to traktor like any other controller. Then its all a matter of figuring out what you want to do.

I have searched the web and all my searches ended up with results = 0. I couldn't find a good explanation, nor a fully mapped out launchpad, specially nothing complete with responsive LEDs (but i knew it was possible cause i saw a youtube vid of some dude doing such stuff). So after many hours of reading, testing, configuring, etc... i got my launchpad to work. Not sure i'll keep this mapping entirely, but for now, its cool to see that what i put on paper actually works in practice.

So first off, here's my setup so if you have something similar, you can try it out and see if it works:
    - MacBook 13" (os x 10.5)
    - traktor pro
    - novation launchpad

that's it as far as this particular experiment goes. I don't really have the resources nor time to try the different combinations of operating systems, drivers, and traktor versions, but if anyone wants to give this a go for other setups, please please do so and share your feedback. I'm sure i'm not the only one who would like to know more about this.

There are some gotcha's to all this:

1. you don't have to run automap (which is not really a gotcha but a note)
    2. I'm not sure if launchpad is meant to run the way i've done it, but whatever, it works for me now and seems stable
    3. i'm by no means a midi expert nor programmer and i'm still learning a lot
    4. i don't guarantee this will work, but if it does and people like it, auh sum!

Here is a detailed view of the mapping:
    MAPPING-VIEW (description in caption)

So here's what you have to do:

1. download the tsi files i have created (4 total, 1 for each deck. I don't like flipping through huge mapping files in the small traktor window, sorry)

A-Deck TSI [download]
    B-Deck TSI [download]
    C-Deck TSI [download]
    D-Deck TSI [download]

2. open traktor first and import the files.
    3. make sure that for each mapping file, launchpad is selected as in/out ports. (not sure if the mapping files do this automagically)
    4. once imported, close traktor
    5. connect your launchpad via usb (all LEDs will/should be off)
    6. open traktor
    7. once its ready to receive midi, click on all the buttons and it will light them up according to their current state. It should look like this photo:
    INITIALIZATION PICTURE (description in caption)

Here are some other photos with explanations in the captions:
    HOTCUE STATES PICTURE (description in caption)
    FULLY LOADED PICTURE (description in caption)

I don't have a complete understanding still of some of the concepts and discovered some on a fluke. However, i will say this, what i'm really hoping for is that some of you see what i did (hopefully it works on your setup) and can play around with it more. Also, please leave any feedback as to what you think or suggestions or anything. I'll try to help out as much as i can since i'm usually pretty busy (i'm surprised i even got this going). Anyhow, thanks again...

migz

Tech Wizard

This seems pretty awesome. Great work!

Tech Convert

thanks!!!!

one thing i did forget to mention...

when closing traktor, the LEDs usually stay on for me. Don't know what's going on but i think launchpad doesn't reset itself. If you try to re-open traktor, it might or might not recognize the device.. who knows, but just to be safe, always disconnect the launchpad from the usb cable, then reconnect and open traktor. This seems to work for me as a "reset".

Tech Student

Default Hi there mate the tsi´s files doesn´t work for me

I had entered in traktor scratch pro and when i import then it the traktor scratch pro doesn´t let me select the category to import the tsi´s files you made. perhaps something its missing, which trakor did you use for it?

please helppp me, i want to use the launchap monster to with traktor.

Tech Wizard

You are wonderful.

I may buy one of these to replace my Oxygen8.

Tech Convert

@dj4niq: I checked my NI Service Center to double-check my version. It says i have Traktor Pro and my version number would be 1.2.2 (I just bought it a few months ago online). Not sure if you're running an older version or if pro n scratch are different. If you could tell me what you did that would be helpful as well.

Also, i recommend 2 things:
    1. make sure automap is not running while traktor is open and launchpad is connected. To clarify, when launchpad is connected and automap is open, i believe automap may 'take over' in a sense of the midi messages (but i can't confirm this, i may be wrong). I rebooted my laptop, checked to make sure automap wasn't running by doing a 'top' command in my terminal. Then connected my launchpad. Finally i opened traktor. At first, the LEDs are off. However, as you load trax with hotcues assigned, the LEDs will light up. Also, check out the images I have. I explain some detail in those too.

2. Make sure you have the latest usb drivers for the launchpad. You can get them for free on the novation site.

The only other thing i can think of that would cause issues would be that your launchpad is sending different midi note messages than mine, in which case you'd have to remap, but wouldn't be so bad since it would be just a re-learn function.

Might also wanna check out other threads like this one: http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...ad.php?t=96055

hope it helps!

@Foxfire... lol...thanks. I'd be curious to find out if this works successfully for anyone other than me. In which case i'd say, yea go buy this thing.
    Last edited by misterMigz; 12-12-2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: clarification

Tech Wizard

Ha!

Well, I'm in the process of changing over to a 4 deck setup. Got the Audio8, and am going to purchase a DDM4000 when I get the cash.

The launchpad is attractive for two reasons:

First, your setup would almost EXACTLY compliment my workflow. I'd probably change a few things, but it's almost perfect, and would give me the control I want (I've got 1200s for scrubbing through tracks)

Second, I'm a computer science major and I'm in love with the programming possibilities:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Eggq-_dlMo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57QPXrlYFxQ

It's got me drooling, yo.

Tech Convert

@Foxfire

Right On! i'm a software g33k...

cool that you have a similar workflow. i'd be curious to know what you'd be able to do with this. Ask santa for one..lol

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by misterMigz View Post
    @Foxfire

Right On! i'm a software g33k...

cool that you have a similar workflow. i'd be curious to know what you'd be able to do with this. Ask santa for one..lol
    Haha, sweet. We have a pretty capable comp sci music group here...they've been averse to DJing stuff (THUS FAR), but they're working on some really cool stuff. Might have to try to convince them to work with me on the Launchpad.

You know it man If Santa won't give me one, the money I make working over break will provide.

You will hear from me when I have one in my hands :3

Tech Student

Mistermigz

I did the recommendations you suggest me mate, my launchpad indeed sendthe signal to traktor and it respond, but the lights do not light on, it´s frustraiting, i,m hopping to see it shining and glowing. last the tsi´s files you made doesn´t work for me. but no problemo i mapp it in learn mode and it work´s my problem are still the lighting feedback.

system:

macbook pro
    traktor scratch pro
    novation launchpad
    evolution uc33 e

S.O.S

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast