Xone 96
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Xone 96

Default Xone 96

So it has been leaked by Traktor that Allen and Heath have a new mixer on the horizon that is already Traktor Scratch certified. What are our thoughts, predications and prime time guess work thinking of the yet to be announced Allen & Heath Xone 96?
    TSP2, Rane 64, 2x SL1210 (restored and customised), Shure M44-7 Carts, X1 Mk 2, Launchpad.

http://www.sounditoutrecords.co.uk
    https://soundcloud.com/theworkhouse-sessions

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

6 full channels and dual audio interface is what I'd expect. We'll see...

Ahh, I hope it has Master Insert jacks like the PX5 does.
    Otherwise, I'll likely just keep the PX5 for now.

I wonder if it will have it's own Digital EFX Engine like the PX5, DB2/4?
    It'll be a non-starter without the 2nd Mid EQ, or 2nd Filter.
    I suspect a dual Audio Interface as well.

HOPEFULLY a little better build quality than the PX5.
    I LOVE the Level Indicator lights on the PX5 (color scheme & shape).
    But, I am NOT a fan of the plastic Pot Posts or 3-way toggle-style
    switches for the cross/channel fader curve adjustments.
    A&H Xone:96, (2) X Pioneer CDJ-2000nxs2, Bozure ISO-201, (2) X Technics MK5, "TEIL1" (Delay Pedal), Strymon "Blue Sky" (Reverb Pedal), Ableton Push 2, A&H Xone:K2, (2) X Shure M44-7 w' Ortofon SH-4 Headshells, V-Moda Crossfade LP2, Crates & Crates of Vinyl, 2011 & 2012 Macbook Pros - (2) X SSD/16GB RAM for both machines |
    https://soundcloud.com/risquedj

Quote Originally Posted by blackavenger View Post
    Ahh, I hope it has Master Insert jacks like the PX5 does.
    Otherwise, I'll likely just keep the PX5 for now.

I wonder if it will have it's own Digital EFX Engine like the PX5, DB2/4?
    It'll be a non-starter without the 2nd Mid EQ, or 2nd Filter.
    I suspect a dual Audio Interface as well.

HOPEFULLY a little better build quality than the PX5.
    I LOVE the Level Indicator lights on the PX5 (color scheme & shape).
    But, I am NOT a fan of the plastic Pot Posts or 3-way toggle-style
    switches for the cross/channel fader curve adjustments.
    I would be perfectly happy with it just being a xone:92 with dual soundcards. That being said, having dual soundcards is possible evidence of Serato DVS compatibility. Currently all dual sound card mixers (with the except of the x1800 - which has no affiliation with DVS?) is serato DVS ready.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    Currently all dual sound card mixers (with the except of the x1800 - which has no affiliation with DVS?) is serato DVS ready
    It was announced from the launch of X1800 in beggining of 2017 that it will be a SDJ DVS certified mixer. Certification was finally added in SDJ version 1.9.10 in Nov 2017.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    It was announced from the launch of X1800 in beggining of 2017 that it will be a SDJ DVS certified mixer. Certification was finally added in SDJ version 1.9.10 in Nov 2017.
    You are correct, which also backs up my point even further. :-p All dual soundcard mixers are serato DVS compatible.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

If this is the successor to the 92, I'd imagine both Traktor and Serato would want to support it.
    Personally, I would LOVE to have both options (for DVS) available. Pioneer need to be knocked
    off their high horse. That can only happen if the mixer supports both Traktor & Serato.
    Plus, being able to run one Audio Interface for Ableton and the other for one of the afore
    mentioned DVS, that could be kinda' fun. Or having support for both in B2B scenarios.

I can't wait to see what's up.
    A&H Xone:96, (2) X Pioneer CDJ-2000nxs2, Bozure ISO-201, (2) X Technics MK5, "TEIL1" (Delay Pedal), Strymon "Blue Sky" (Reverb Pedal), Ableton Push 2, A&H Xone:K2, (2) X Shure M44-7 w' Ortofon SH-4 Headshells, V-Moda Crossfade LP2, Crates & Crates of Vinyl, 2011 & 2012 Macbook Pros - (2) X SSD/16GB RAM for both machines |
    https://soundcloud.com/risquedj

Quote Originally Posted by blackavenger View Post
    If this is the successor to the 92, I'd imagine both Traktor and Serato would want to support it.
    Personally, I would LOVE to have both options (for DVS) available. Pioneer need to be knocked
    off their high horse. That can only happen if the mixer supports both Traktor & Serato.
    Plus, being able to run one Audio Interface for Ableton and the other for one of the afore
    mentioned DVS, that could be kinda' fun. Or having support for both in B2B scenarios.

I can't wait to see what's up.
    You just blew my mind. I dont know I never thought of that. As someone who uses one computer for deejaying and another for Maschine, that is a perfectly simple solution.

Now Imma have to wait to buy a new mixer. haha

Tech Guru

I'm hoping it will be a stripped down model 1 mixer, it's built by the same guys at Allen & Heath, so would be an easy build, they probably had to wait a year or so before releasing it

Quote Originally Posted by ekwipt View Post
    I'm hoping it will be a stripped down model 1 mixer, it's built by the same guys at Allen & Heath, so would be an easy build, they probably had to wait a year or so before releasing it
    This is what I want to see, or at least some inspiration from the Model 1, particularly the way filter mixing is implemented.

I don't know about the 2 soundcard thing - it's a great idea in theory but I'm not sure how the OS would handle it; the computer is still doing all the processing in that scenario. Will the sound cards address each other for example? More likely it will just facilitate B2B situations, or possibly two people working together, but I kind of doubt that we'll be able to easily run individual Traktor decks through Ableton effects on the fly for example.

If they were building my dream mixer it would include:

* Filter mixing with resonance and frequency range control; I like having that as an option a la the DB4 so you can use the same knobs for EQ/ISO, but I think you can also implement it like the FF4.2 if that's not too busy a workstation. Or do like the Model 1 and forego regular EQ mixing entirely.

* Rotary channel option with crossfader. Obviously I'm not the target market for a Model 1 or a Rane 2015, but the lack of crossfader kills both of those for me.

* Analog sound path option. I should get over it but it kills me that digital mixers, even the Rane 2015, do A/D and D/A conversion even when you're playing vinyl with no computer attached. (This means the filter mixing would have to be implemented in analog circuitry of course, so it would be pricier, but it's not like A+H have been pricing their digital gear lower anyway).

* FX loop. I don't care how great your on-board effects are, some people like to add an analog isolator or guitar pedal or whatever, and there's no reason you should have to do contortions (like you do with the DB4) or abandon your favorite toys.

* If it's going to be a pure or mostly digital mixer, please A+H for heaven's sake recognize that it's a long term commitment. Commit to updating firmware to be compatible with OS updates, and ideally, be willing to implement reasonable new features in firmware updates. Don't abandon your users after a couple years like you've basically done with the DB series. I realize nobody can predict the future and it's not reasonable to expect too much for free years after you bought the product but I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be willing to pay for substantial firmware updates that included new features. It was cool A+H did that with soft RIAA and rotary mixing for the DB4 but since then they not only stopped looking into feature requests; they even shut down the community forum completely. I'm sure this is a pipe dream as Pioneer has shown that the opposite business model works fine - make customers buy the same mixer over and over again at ever increasing prices for minor feature and compatibility updates. Sigh....

Guess I'll keep dreaming hehehe
    Last edited by djproben; 05-16-2018 at 04:03 PM. Reason: readability
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast