Beat Intensity Mixing Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Beat Intensity Mixing Question

Using RE3, I've just added the Beat Intensity tag to my harmonic beat mixing collection. All my software is custom made for live mixing and I'm trying to assimilate Beat Intensity. So far I've sorted my large playlist by a five value Beat Intensity, Camelot Key, BPM then Genre. I'm using the reduced RE3 values of Beat Intensity, namely (1)Very Low 01-36, (2)Low 37-52, (3)Medium 53-68, (4)High 69-84, (5)Very High 85-99 and this playlist is fine for using statically on my phone. On my main live mixing computer I have two instances of this playlist and items are selected in accordance with what is playing. I currently restrict playing of tracks that are within 6% of BPM and above 3% I then marshal further choices from a database.

My question regarding Beat Intensity is what maximum difference should I initially allow for selection based on the actual two digit Beat Intensity values. If it's too small then I get locked into a certain portion of my playlist and if it's too large there's no point using it.

What is Beat Intensity?
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    What is Beat Intensity?
    I believe he refers to "track energy" or "power of the sound".

Tech Mentor

Watch your dancefloor.
    If the punters are walking off it, then "beat intensity / key / genre" doesn't mean anything.

Trust your instincts, rather than relying on metadata ....why restrict yourself to tracks within 6% pitch? If you know a track will work, then play it.

Use the force!
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    What is Beat Intensity?
    I would like to know also.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    I believe he refers to "track energy" or "power of the sound".
    isn't that completely subjective?
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    isn't that completely subjective?
    Unless you are referring to the Energy and Strength as relatable in music theory. Than they are recordable and replicable principles. The same can be stated about both emotion and progression.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Is RE3 the Rapid Evolution software?

This “beat intensity” thing has got me interested. But for me, beat intensity is very different to energy level...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    Unless you are referring to the Energy and Strength as relatable in music theory. Than they are recordable and replicable principles. The same can be stated about both emotion and progression.
    I guess I will stick actually listening to my tracks...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    I guess I will stick actually listening to my tracks...
    Amen.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Is RE3 the Rapid Evolution software?

This “beat intensity” thing has got me interested. But for me, beat intensity is very different to energy level...
    Yes, RE3 is Rapid Evolution 3. Beat Intensity takes longer to calculate than either BPM or Key and I left it out until I got my Ryzen 1700x with all my music on SSD. Even then it took a full week to calculate. There are other metrics like "danceability" which RE3 doesn't have so I'm working with what I've got. As there seems to be little experience, to start with, my coding will allow tracks in the same or adjacent Beat Intensity range. My 6% BPM cut off allows for next tracks with 2x BPM and 1.5x BPM(syncopated?) up or down combinations. This means that a match can be found using only a few random selections from which a database marshals candidates by compatible key and other criteria. When the actual BPM varies 3% or less then the two playlists advance in a groove. Tracks start when the second hand is on zero or thirty during the last half minute of play providing long crossfades during the remainder of the current track.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast