Fader only works if pressed down

Default Fader only works if pressed down

Hi guys
    I'm having this issue with my channel 4 fader on my Gemini G4V controller. The fader motion isn't detected by traktor for most of the range unless I really press the fader cap down and move it. If I release the fadercap it goes straight to 100%. Anyone has seen this before and knows how to fix it? Thanks.

First try using another software to verify it's a hardware and not a software issue. Then try cleaning it with contact cleaner+fader lube. That should help a little. If you're not satisifed with the result - replace the fader.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

this could be a problem with a lot of gemini's faders. i have a slate 4 that did the same thing on 2 of the 4 faders

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    First try using another software to verify it's a hardware and not a software issue. Then try cleaning it with contact cleaner+fader lube. That should help a little. If you're not satisifed with the result - replace the fader.
    Thanks for you reply
    I tried cleaning it with compressed air and lube but to no avail, happens in traktor and VDJ
    How do I know which fader to get so it matches?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastah Kyler View Post
    this could be a problem with a lot of gemini's faders. i have a slate 4 that did the same thing on 2 of the 4 faders
    Thanks for your reply, how did you deal with this?

Quote Originally Posted by MadZler View Post
    Thanks for you reply
    I tried cleaning it with compressed air and lube but to no avail, happens in traktor and VDJ
    How do I know which fader to get so it matches?

NEVER EVER CLEAN FADERS WITH COMPRESSED AIR!

Always use Deoxit.

There are two possibilities for your issue. Either one (which is probably where the issue originated) there is a large amount of dirt buildup between the rail contacts and the fader contacts. In this case, spray some deoxit in there and move the fader back and forth vigorously. wait repeat. Then everything will work fine.

The other (which can be caused by dropping the mixer, putting to much pressure on the fader, or continuously pressing down on the fader to get it to work) is that the fader contacts are bent. In which case you can either disassemble, repair, and re-assemble the fader assy (harder than it sounds due to soft metals bending easily and being hard to get back to original shape) or replace the fader completely.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by MadZler View Post
    I stopped messing with toys and bought XDJs and a mixer :P

Hopefully your fader solder joints haven't snapped. I have seen this happen to a few people running NI gear. I first noticed it in my friends old S4 MKII. He had a habit of slamming faders up on quick transitions and over time it stressed the solder joints to the point of snapping off of the PCB. This also happened to another friend of mine who in the past would run a Denon controller.

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    NEVER EVER CLEAN FADERS WITH COMPRESSED AIR!

Always use Deoxit.

There are two possibilities for your issue. Either one (which is probably where the issue originated) there is a large amount of dirt buildup between the rail contacts and the fader contacts. In this case, spray some deoxit in there and move the fader back and forth vigorously. wait repeat. Then everything will work fine.

The other (which can be caused by dropping the mixer, putting to much pressure on the fader, or continuously pressing down on the fader to get it to work) is that the fader contacts are bent. In which case you can either disassemble, repair, and re-assemble the fader assy (harder than it sounds due to soft metals bending easily and being hard to get back to original shape) or replace the fader completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by pacific808 View Post
    Hopefully your fader solder joints haven't snapped. I have seen this happen to a few people running NI gear. I first noticed it in my friends old S4 MKII. He had a habit of slamming faders up on quick transitions and over time it stressed the solder joints to the point of snapping off of the PCB. This also happened to another friend of mine who in the past would run a Denon controller.
    I am suspecting the fader was damaged since I do chop alot meaning i slam it up and down quickly quite often. Weird that it only happenned to this one though. How do I know which fader to get to replace it?

If you are lucky you might be able to do a google search with your controller model + channel fader. Otherwise you may have to take your controller apart, measure your fader, and then compare it to available ones making sure it is the proper length, has the same amount of legs(if any), and same number and position solder joints.