How do i begin Djing?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default How do i begin Djing?

Hey all. I'm into techno and want to produce and DJ this music and I would love some advice on how to get started. I have a bunch of things floating around in head that are making it difficult to know where/how to begin. I have what i need for the production side of things so that's not an issue but i'm stuck as to how to get going on the DJ side of things. From looking around that the use of dj-controllers in clubs is a hit and miss thing and i'm presently saving up for an S8 and would prefer to use that if i could, I don't have a bunch of money to buy the pricey pioneer set up but from what i understand the bigger clubs tend to prefer you to use that stuff (dreaming . Is it a must learn? Also in my area is a bit of techno desert for the most part so apart from putting my stuff online i'm wondering how i can get to play regularly. I don't mind doing the work but some direction would be helpful. Thanks.. Tech.

I would say to "start" DJing is to collect alot of music you like. You can use the software with a keyboard and mouse to get started. Mixxx is free so you can start with that.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Convert

Thanks Keithace i have traktor pro 2 and plenty of music it's more the hardware side of things and the other concerns i mentioned that i'm looking for clarity on. In short they were: controllers or not, getting techno gigs in my area and beyond, learning cdj's a must?

I’ve seen DJ’s bring cdj’s, turntables and controllers to the club. As for you playing out, you first need to be good. So, practice practice practice! Shitty DJ’s killed the scene around here for a while. Promoters would only hire free DJ’s. So when you play out, make sure your not train wrecking every mix. Song selection is very important also. A lot of garbage tracks out here. imho
    You need to know ppl. There is a million ppl wanting to dj. Look at mixcloud, SoundCloud and the like. They’re full of ppl wanting to be heard. Network with ppl and DJ’s in the scene. Maybe one day they’ll put you up. Or you could promote your out night and grow from that. Best of luck

I would say the Pioneer entry level stuff, DDJ RB and the DDJ RR, wont break the bank and gives you skills transferrable to CDJs.

the S2 would be viable also.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Volumetrix1200 View Post
    I’ve seen DJ’s bring cdj’s, turntables and controllers to the club. As for you playing out, you first need to be good. So, practice practice practice! Shitty DJ’s killed the scene around here for a while. Promoters would only hire free DJ’s. So when you play out, make sure your not train wrecking every mix. Song selection is very important also. A lot of garbage tracks out here. imho
    You need to know ppl. There is a million ppl wanting to dj. Look at mixcloud, SoundCloud and the like. They’re full of ppl wanting to be heard. Network with ppl and DJ’s in the scene. Maybe one day they’ll put you up. Or you could promote your out night and grow from that. Best of luck
    Thanks dude great advice.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    I would say the Pioneer entry level stuff, DDJ RB and the DDJ RR, wont break the bank and gives you skills transferrable to CDJs.

the S2 would be viable also.
    Thanks Keithace the thing that is worrying me is that ill spend out on a controller then spend a lot of time practising with it only for it be redundant because clubs "expect" you to use their gear. It's a tricky problem for me because i've been inspired by the likes of Riche Hawtin , Chris liebing and Dubfire who are prominent Techno DJ's who've crafted their own custom setups to enhance their performances. As i've been reading around i've found that club owners/promoters are much more willing to accommodate the more established DJ's custom needs but not so much the up and comings.

apparently I don't understand what you direction you are asking for...

Don't worry too much about the "club standard" or using club gear. Get what you think will suit you best and learn to use it. By the time you're ready to play out at a club that's big enough to have their own gear you'll be able to transfer your skills.

Sounds to me that with a lack of scene in your local, that concentrating on production and your online presence will get you farther than worrying about what the clubs expect from you, anyway. Much luck on your journey, remember, having fun is the most important part!

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by jakeintox View Post
    Don't worry too much about the "club standard" or using club gear. Get what you think will suit you best and learn to use it. By the time you're ready to play out at a club that's big enough to have their own gear you'll be able to transfer your skills.

Sounds to me that with a lack of scene in your local, that concentrating on production and your online presence will get you farther than worrying about what the clubs expect from you, anyway. Much luck on your journey, remember, having fun is the most important part!
    Thanks Jakeintox.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast