How do i begin Djing? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The only "standards" you need to understand are the fundamentals of mixing.

Volume
    EQ
    FX
    Phrasing
    Programming

Knobs are knobs, buttons are buttons and faders are faders. If you can DJ, you can DJ on anything. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that right now, you can't DJ. So it doesn't matter if you're using a £5,000 modular set-up, or a £50 budget controller. You're eq'ing is gonna be terrible, you're programming is gonna suck, and you probably don't even know what phrasing is.

But there's good news! We all sucked to begin with!!! Even Dubfire and Richie Hawtin. You've got a long journey ahead of you, and you'll learn lots along the way. Sometimes, you'll learn something, and it'll enable you keep going, and you'll learn quicker, and better and improve lots. But sometimes, you'll learn something that actually proves to you how much you still have to learn.

Don't stop. You can do and learn at the same time. Learn the absolute minimum to get you up and running, then, learn by doing/learn by failing. I guarantee you this - Dubfire and Hawtin didn't learn on their super expensive rigs, and by spending hours on forums. They tried, failed, and improved.

Don't worry about sucking. Sum of us still suck after all these years!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Convert

Thanks Patch your advice rings true to me. My plan right now with djing is to focus on the fundamentals those being phrase mixing, EQ-ing and programming.

Tech Mentor

Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice...You need to learn to crawl before you become an Olympic gold medalist in track....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12