How to DJ without too many breakdowns?
    Tech Convert

Default How to DJ without too many breakdowns?

Hey all. When i'm listening to my fav techno sets i notice that there are not very many breakdowns in them and that the breakdowns are delivered in a more controlled way. I'm curious how any of you guys/girls that are experienced keep the flow going in a set given that most tracks have large energy killing breakdowns spliced throughout them? Do you play either only the first half or second half or some other means. I saw on another site that a guy said that he mixed the same track into itself to avoid a long breakdown which i thought was a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Technecal View Post
    Hey all. When i'm listening to my fav techno sets i notice that there are not very many breakdowns in them and that the breakdowns are delivered in a more controlled way. I'm curious how any of you guys/girls that are experienced keep the flow going in a set given that most tracks have large energy killing breakdowns spliced throughout them? Do you play either only the first half or second half or some other means. I saw on another site that a guy said that he mixed the same track into itself to avoid a long breakdown which i thought was a good idea.
    Good question. I would like to know also.

Edits.

You can learn to make them in 5 minutes on YouTube.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Edits.

You can learn to make them in 5 minutes on YouTube.
    I’ve made plenty of edits before but never thought about removing the breakdown. Makes sense to keep everyone dancing in a club setting.

Problem solved, then.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Convert

Thanks for your answers guys. I'd never thought about editing the actual tune itself tbh. I found a good video about using cue points in traktor to achieve the pretty much the same thing. I had some fun with that yesterday.

Many djs just move through tracks more quickly to miss the breakdowns. As a breakdown comes in you can mix into the intro of the next track, or use cuepoints to jump straight to the drop, or past it to the the rest of the track

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Cue points and loops. I do it all the time with tech house. I also use 3 decks so it’s easy to keep quick mixing