Richie Hawtin CLOSE: How I PLAY [video] - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11
    Tech Mentor ragverp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laserbeam View Post
    I am quite certain that Richie could play a set with two CDJs and people would enjoy his mix just as much as his other performances.

    It really is diffrent, i was sceptical to, but saw him at awakenings festival, big tent with 5000 peeps inside and it really made a diffrence...and dont forget, he is really making an effort for this , like you said he could also turn op with just his usb stick but dicided he wanted to give more....

    And yes like any dj he sometimes has a bad day, but don't we all
    Allen & Heath DB4, Xone K2, 2x Native instrument D2
    Soundcloud
    Mixcloud

  2. #12
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ragverp View Post
    It really is diffrent, i was sceptical to, but saw him at awakenings festival, big tent with 5000 peeps inside and it really made a diffrence...and dont forget, he is really making an effort for this , like you said he could also turn op with just his usb stick but dicided he wanted to give more....

    And yes like any dj he sometimes has a bad day, but don't we all
    Can you describe what made the difference?
    Anyway, I do think he is a luminary of Techno(logy), but perhaps in some sense he took things too far. He made Techno glamorous, turned it into a pop culture, lives a jetset lifestyle himself. I suppose his artist fees start at 10.000 bucks and reach far beyond. He worked hard and deserves the credit for it, but it's definitely has all got a dark side as well.

  3. #13
    Tech Mentor ragverp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laserbeam View Post
    Can you describe what made the difference?
    Anyway, I do think he is a luminary of Techno(logy), but perhaps in some sense he took things too far. He made Techno glamorous, turned it into a pop culture, lives a jetset lifestyle himself. I suppose his artist fees start at 10.000 bucks and reach far beyond. He worked hard and deserves the credit for it, but it's definitely has all got a dark side as well.
    Adam Beyer is just bringing his usb and his fee's are up there with the rest of them, Carl cox is playing a traktor d2 setup with 2 cdj's and he earns more then most of them combined, Amaly lens just the usb etc etc..

    Richie is not my favourite, actualy none of the above, but he is doing en did more work for techno then all of them, the fact he is not behind a stage gives another feel. I felt more connected to him, i loved that he has 2 or 3 camera's on the equipment showing what he is doing on the big screen behind him.
    And as a fellow producer and dj i could really see the level of the performance he took it to...

    Granted that 99.8 % in the room is to far out to even notice anything like that, but that is no reason to stop making a effort

    Techno for me is always about taking things further and experimenting with the techno(logy) available to us ..
    Allen & Heath DB4, Xone K2, 2x Native instrument D2
    Soundcloud
    Mixcloud

  4. #14
    Tech Guru SlayForMoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    1,615

    Default

    i love how every post here has a valid point in it. great discussion guys
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

  5. #15
    Tech Guru Timbo21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    It's Britainy Bitch
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Interesting about the cameras. He recognises part of the Richie Hawtin experience is seeing what he is doing.

    If you just listen, is what is coming out the speakers sounding better than playing finished mixed tracks? I guess the answer is sometimes yes, sometimes not; but of course it's original and that's the niche he's carved and has made him successful.

    I would say it's easy for a DJ to fall down the self-indulgent rabbit hole, but of course people vote with their feet, literally.
    Xone92/X1 MKII X 2/F1/Macbook Pro 13/Technics SL1210 MK2's
    https://soundcloud.com/timbo21-1/tracks

    Radio Show Every Friday & Saturday Night 22.00-00.00 BST
    http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/timbo...-london-radio/

  6. #16
    Tech Guru mostapha's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    4,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ragverp View Post
    ACarl cox is playing a traktor d2 setup with 2 cdj's and he earns more then most of them combined
    So...the funny thing about Carl Cox, according to one of his "How I Play" videos, is that he has the CDJs controlling Traktor and does it just because he believes people expect to see the physicality he brings to a DJ set that's missing when he only plays on more modern controllers.

    There was apparently a time when hew as just using a Maschine to control Traktor.

    If you just wanted perfectly mixed music, a computer could do that. There are a lot of people, even in the club scene, who believe a DJ could be replaced by an iPod on shuffle. They're obviously wrong, but there are people who wouldn't notice even that.

    The idea of criticizing a DJ for doing "too much" or saying that something they're doing not being worth it...I think is BS. If it wasn't worth it, they wouldn't get booked.

    Criticizing success...there's no point. All of these people play music they like to punters who like their taste and style, and they're successful enough to keep doing it. Beyond that...nothing really matters unless you're comparing yourself to them....which, mostly, isn't what they do. I'd bet good money Hawtin doesn't compare himself to Cox and feel bad because his booking fees are (probably) lower. He compares himself to himself yesterday or a year ago or a decade ago, and that's why he does what he does.

  7. #17
    Tech Guru the_bastet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    2,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    ....He compares himself to himself yesterday or a year ago or a decade ago, and that's why he does what he does.
    This is what we all should be doing as artists. Art and music are not a competition. They are a collaborative effort in self expression.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

  8. #18
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    So...the funny thing about Carl Cox, according to one of his "How I Play" videos, is that he has the CDJs controlling Traktor and does it just because he believes people expect to see the physicality he brings to a DJ set that's missing when he only plays on more modern controllers.

    The idea of criticizing a DJ for doing "too much" or saying that something they're doing not being worth it...I think is BS. If it wasn't worth it, they wouldn't get booked.

    Criticizing success...there's no point. All of these people play music they like to punters who like their taste and style, and they're successful enough to keep doing it.
    1. It's funny cause nobody can barelely see Carl mixing because the stages he plays are just too big.
    2. There are DJs doing too much, Hawtin is not one of them. There have allways been the guys who tend to believe they need to add effects to anything, but destroy the mix by doing so. Some DJs even mix like shit, but they are still worth it in some way, for the promoter, because these guys fill the floor. It's still a big mystery to me how Mr. Guetta for example is not capable of handlling two CDJs
    https://youtu.be/kMRe5A215xs?t=719
    3. I don't think anybody critisizes the success. In Richie's Case it is well deserved and I believe if he had not gone trying to push himself and reach the next level, there would not be a Model1.

  9. #19
    Tech Guru mostapha's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    4,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    This is what we all should be doing as artists. Art and music are not a competition. They are a collaborative effort in self expression.
    Amen.

    Seriously, listen to any of the top guys in almost any field talk...that's what they do and how they think.

    Quote Originally Posted by Laserbeam View Post
    1. It's funny cause nobody can barelely see Carl mixing because the stages he plays are just too big.
    2. There are DJs doing too much, Hawtin is not one of them. There have allways been the guys who tend to believe they need to add effects to anything, but destroy the mix by doing so. Some DJs even mix like shit, but they are still worth it in some way, for the promoter, because these guys fill the floor. It's still a big mystery to me how Mr. Guetta for example is not capable of handlling two CDJs
    https://youtu.be/kMRe5A215xs?t=719
    3. I don't think anybody critisizes the success. In Richie's Case it is well deserved and I believe if he had not gone trying to push himself and reach the next level, there would not be a Model1.
    1. Agreed. There's still a sense of him moving around, though. I think it's more about him jumping and bouncing and moving back and forth across a setup that's almost 6 feet wide that he's referring to...not so much what he's doing to the hardware.

    2. Agreed. Whether I'm playing minimal techno or house or full on "why am I doing this" EDM, I like doing as little as possible and getting out of the way of the music. Hawtin has a very different way of playing that I respect but don't care to do. And he's very very good at it.

    3. There was someone ITT that seemed to make fun of him for his lifestyle. I can't be fussed to scroll up and figure out who. Maybe I misinterpreted it.

  10. #20
    Tech Guru astromech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    So...the funny thing about Carl Cox, according to one of his "How I Play" videos, is that he has the CDJs controlling Traktor and does it just because he believes people expect to see the physicality he brings to a DJ set that's missing when he only plays on more modern controllers.

    There was apparently a time when hew as just using a Maschine to control Traktor.

    If you just wanted perfectly mixed music, a computer could do that. There are a lot of people, even in the club scene, who believe a DJ could be replaced by an iPod on shuffle. They're obviously wrong, but there are people who wouldn't notice even that.

    The idea of criticizing a DJ for doing "too much" or saying that something they're doing not being worth it...I think is BS. If it wasn't worth it, they wouldn't get booked.

    Criticizing success...there's no point. All of these people play music they like to punters who like their taste and style, and they're successful enough to keep doing it. Beyond that...nothing really matters unless you're comparing yourself to them....which, mostly, isn't what they do. I'd bet good money Hawtin doesn't compare himself to Cox and feel bad because his booking fees are (probably) lower. He compares himself to himself yesterday or a year ago or a decade ago, and that's why he does what he does.
    Pleasurekraft uses a Maschine Mk2 and a DJM-900NXS2 with Traktor.
    A&H Xone:62 | 2 x NI Kontrol X1 MK2 | 2 x 1210s | TSP2 | Audio 10 | Apple Macbook Pro 13 inch | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Ableton Push
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •