Richie Hawtin CLOSE: How I PLAY [video] - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I don't know if it has anything to to with it but Hawtin, KiNK and Zabiela are one of my favourite artists and have caused my greatest nights out yet. I really like how Zabiela is just messing around on those decks having fun, checking out what sounds good. KiNK is just straight out building new stuff live and Hawtin feels like an artist creating a new piece of elegant art on the fly. I might be that the amount of creativity and creation involved is what makes these performances so amazing.
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou View Post
    I don't know if it has anything to to with it but Hawtin, KiNK and Zabiela are one of my favourite artists and have caused my greatest nights out yet. I really like how Zabiela is just messing around on those decks having fun, checking out what sounds good. KiNK is just straight out building new stuff live and Hawtin feels like an artist creating a new piece of elegant art on the fly. I might be that the amount of creativity and creation involved is what makes these performances so amazing.
    I feel very differently, especially about Zabiela. I met him very briefly (we were both in the audience at a Sasha performance in Miami years ago). He's an awesome guy and a technical wizard. But, I'm not a fan of his performances. It seems like "wankery" the same way that a lot of jazz solos do.

But, stuff like that is just preference. He's very good at it. I just don't like it from an aesthetic/enjoyment standpoint. Like Hawtin's, I've practiced some of those techniques to help understand what he's doing. And I respect it. But, it's not what I want to listen to when I'm at a club.
    I'm mostapha. I lost control of that acount and just decided to create another one.

Setup Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    So...the funny thing about Carl Cox, according to one of his "How I Play" videos, is that he has the CDJs controlling Traktor and does it just because he believes people expect to see the physicality he brings to a DJ set that's missing when he only plays on more modern controllers.

There was apparently a time when hew as just using a Maschine to control Traktor.
    I've done stage tech for some of Carl's techno gigs here in Melbourne (Pure 2016 & 2017) as well as production manage audio for his Mobile Disco's with Eric Powell, so I've seen Carl use everything from controllers, Live, Rekordbox, Traktor, CDJ's (USB and CD) and vinyl! No matter what style or medium he uses, he puts everything into his "show" and every time the dance floor reacts to a track he's thinking "how can I make this even better".
    Main Gig Comp - MacBook Air 11" 1.3GHz i5, 4GB, 512GB, OS X 10.12.6
    Gig Gear - TSP 2.6.8 & 2.11.2, Kontrol X1mk2 (x2), D2 (x2), S5, Xone:92, Xone:PX5, CDJ-2000 (x2), DDJ-XP1 ... Rekordbox DJ 5 with a few packs ...
    Plenty of studio gear and not enough time ... and a few Nexo PA systems

Quote Originally Posted by frankle View Post
    I've done stage tech for some of Carl's techno gigs here in Melbourne (Pure 2016 & 2017) as well as production manage audio for his Mobile Disco's with Eric Powell, so I've seen Carl use everything from controllers, Live, Rekordbox, Traktor, CDJ's (USB and CD) and vinyl! No matter what style or medium he uses, he puts everything into his "show" and every time the dance floor reacts to a track he's thinking "how can I make this even better".
    I have no doubt he gives it his all every time. But, he did say in one of those how i play videos that some part of the reason for CDJs (as traktor controllers, IIRC) was the physicality of it.

Tech Guru

Yeah but comparing Carl Cox to Richie Hawtin is like comparing Sebastian Vettel to Sebastian Loeb.

One is a minimal techno performer, the other isn't. What Richie is doing is more interesting as a dj TO HIM than just playing decks and doing tricks. It's more like live production in front of a crowd. Liebing does it this way, Speedy J does it this way as well. The gear that they use, wouldn't even make sense for Carl and I don't think it would make sense for his sets, even if someone paid him to use a setup like that.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123