Richie Hawtin CLOSE: How I PLAY [video]
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Richie Hawtin CLOSE: How I PLAY [video]

Amazing, this setup is what I have been working towards for years

MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Tech Mentor

Ok it's about Richie twisting Knobs. He can do that quite well, but where actually is the value of the performance? To me it looks more like a demonstration of potential ideas. I think that the progress brought a lot of flexibility regarding the performance. DJs can add all kinds of percussions, fx, melodies etc.. But there is one thing to remember: There is a reason why a normal tune is not created on the fly. All kinds of sophisticated automations, transitions, etc. take more than one attempt to sound the way the producer wants it to. When you take out too much of studio production work, I believe your live performance then does not live up to any higher value to the audience. To me this looks more like a demonstration of what is possible and showcasing skills. This is not what would get me going on the dancefloor. It appears Richie is puzzling about the perfect sound he can create on the fly. But it's simply the interest in his devices and having a look at him operating them what makes it special. I am quite certain that Richie could play a set with two CDJs and people would enjoy his mix just as much as his other performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserbeam View Post
    Ok it's about Richie twisting Knobs. He can do that quite well, but where actually is the value of the performance? To me it looks more like a demonstration of potential ideas. I think that the progress brought a lot of flexibility regarding the performance. DJs can add all kinds of percussions, fx, melodies etc.. But there is one thing to remember: There is a reason why a normal tune is not created on the fly. All kinds of sophisticated automations, transitions, etc. take more than one attempt to sound the way the producer wants it to. When you take out too much of studio production work, I believe your live performance then does not live up to any higher value to the audience. To me this looks more like a demonstration of what is possible and showcasing skills. This is not what would get me going on the dancefloor. It appears Richie is puzzling about the perfect sound he can create on the fly. But it's simply the interest in his devices and having a look at him operating them what makes it special. I am quite certain that Richie could play a set with two CDJs and people would enjoy his mix just as much as his other performances.
    What sort of music do you normally spin?
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Mentor

Techno and Trance, why do you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Laserbeam View Post
    Techno and Trance, why do you ask?
    Because it seems like you don't really get how his style fits with the brand of techno he usually plays. Have you seen any of his live sets recently? Or maybe Nicole Moudaber? Matador? Chris Liebing? Rebekah? A lot of techno is made for tearing up and rejigging. I tend to have at least three decks of loops going at once, with a fourth queued up waiting to play. That's when I can't be bothered to hook up my Push. Adding synth melodies and basslines on top would be a no-brainer when you're seasoned like Hawtin.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3

Tech Mentor

Neither do I doubt his skills nor am I not impressed by his sets. What I simply want to say is that the digital mixing Richie pushed within his days, starting with timecode, then switching to fully digital (finally we got to a point where the sync-discussion has come to an end, yet you still find haters) with the 4D and lately he took the next step introducing the model1 must not offer greater value, even though we all benefit from his influence.
    My point is: Put Richie into the setting of a music fair with interested and proficient guests. They will love what he is doing. Put a DJ with a standard Nexus setup in the same setting. Not that fancy.
    Now put Richie into a club setting. Barely anybody is able to see what he is doing and people prefer to dance anyway. And the people could enjoy the standard DJ set just as much as they did hearing Richie (or any other live performers).
    You get my point? Electronic music has a different philosophy than rock or jazz in that regard. Who would want to watch a playback rock or jazzband? Not that I am saying a DJ set is playback, it's just a comparison.

Tech Wizard

I really don't get your point.

I've seen Hawtin live a few times, and...it's interesting. There are times when the whole thing falls apart and is just plain boring. There are other times it's awesome. Just like pretty much everyone else...every DJ has had a track fall flat.

He does his thing and does it well. For me...I don't like doing that kind of thing. And I have done it "his way" before (with Live and/or Maschine, not all the stuff he uses now). I just don't enjoy it, which is why I don't do it. He does enjoy it, which is why he does.

It's like you're trying to say that DJs are service providers. Certainly, some are (think about weddings and school dances). A lot of them (like Hawtin) are not. They do a thing, and if they're lucky, talented, and hardworking and can sell themselves well, people pay to experience it.

There definitely are people who couldn't care less who's performing or even what the music is. But if that's the norm in your world, it means your clubs suck.
    I'm mostapha. I lost control of that acount and just decided to create another one.

Setup Thread

Yeah, Hawtin has top billing. His sets are as much a performance as Tiesto's or whoever. It's just that his stuff is pretty much completely on the fly. Saying that, I'd rather a DJ try to add some flair to their set rather than just two CDJs.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    Yeah, Hawtin has top billing. His sets are as much a performance as Tiesto's or whoever. It's just that his stuff is pretty much completely on the fly. Saying that, I'd rather a DJ try to add some flair to their set rather than just two CDJs.
    I honestly have mixed feelings. Hawtin is on my list of the best DJs I've seen (in terms of technicality, enjoyment, whatever). Along with a couple other guys who went more or less into adding flair. Sasha's on the list regardless of what he was using (Seen him with Live/Maven, Traktor, and CDJs). Jazzy Jeff is on the list doing the turntablism thing, which I think counts as flair the way you mean it. There are a handful that I've only seen on youtube or be-at.tv that I'd put on the list that go crazy with all the toys and doing all the things.

But Derrick May and Richard West are also on that list. And both of them were doing simple 2-deck mixing. They had 4 decks available, but that was just so they could use vinyl or CDs. The mixing was simple. And those nights were incredible.
    I'm mostapha. I lost control of that acount and just decided to create another one.

Setup Thread

I saw the close performance at awakenings and it is awsome, completly diffrent from the dj behind the decks, Richie is really working to give his audience a real performance in sound, light and overall experience...if you have the chance go see him..!!

And believe me i see a lot of techno ....
    Allen & Heath DB4, Xone K2, 2x Native instrument D2
    Soundcloud
    Mixcloud

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast