Recent experiences with PC/Win10?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Recent experiences with PC/Win10?

Please no Mac vs. PC BS. I'll just block you because my actual answer is they both suck and Linux is superior in every way except for running music apps.

I've been on Mac and Linux since 2004 for music and non-music things respectively. I'm still happy with my hackintosh (it's been my absolute best OS X experience, bar none). But my last MBP died a while ago. And, I'm kind of missing being able to do music things on a laptop. Unfortunately, I absolutely hate the last few years' of MBPs dropping all of the useful connections and requiring a docking station or adapters. It's a price I'm not willing to pay.

What's it like on Win10 these days? Are there hoops you have to jump through to get music apps to work right (Priorities are Wavelab, Pro Tools, Traktor, and Maschine in that order; Plugins are mostly iZotope, Brainworx, and NI)? Is DPC latency behind us? Do automatic updates still screw everything up? Can you actually turn them off yet? How well does Windows do Hi-DPI scaling? Is it as slick as the way OS X or Linux works with 4k displays?

(Contrary to popular opinion, I actually prefer the way Linux does it...get rid of a bunch of the eye candy, use a huge font, and literally everything just works....it's one of the reasons I consider it superior.)

The rest of my non-music life is easiest either in a Linux VM or one of my other Linux PCs, so there's no real concern there.

Is there any reason to think that a Razer Blade 4k (when it comes out) won't do everything I need? Are there other things I should look at (wanting 8th gen i7, upgradeable RAM and SSD, and a preferably matte 4k display)?

Is it worth paying for a windows license to try stuff out on my existing hardware? And, related to the last question, how do you actually buy Windows these days? Would it be easiest to just go to a Microsoft store?

Thanks...
    I'm mostapha. I lost control of that acount and just decided to create another one.

Setup Thread

Most everything runs pretty stable on Win10 right now, but Im still using Win 8.1 Enterprise in both my production and DJ VM's. It's just still more stable. That being said, Win 8.1 is also less of a resource hog and doesnt have the issues that Win10 seems to have with virtualization (including recognizing multiple device ID's and addressing them seperately within VMWare for some reason).
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Windows 10 super stable. All i do before plugging in is put on the airport mode. Audio stuff i use is mainly Traktor & Audition. CPU usage bar in Traktor totally flatlined for the most part.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

Windows 10 very stable for me. Using a Lenovo Y700. Only gripe I have is that the new focusrite USB drivers do a weird thing where I here some static in my system, but it's usually fixed when I change the buffer size. Also could be because I run Voicemeeter
    Ableton Live 9 || Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 || Akai MPK249 || Novation Launchpad Pro || Rokit 5s G1 || Audio-Technica AT 2035 || EMU MP-7 ||Electrix Tweaker || Audio-Technica ATH-M50 || Sennheiser HD 558

Are you all using a fresh, unoptimised install of Win10?

I’ve had some problems, and get a loud click/pop in my speakers/headphones when shutting down...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I tweak the F*** out of mine mate. SSD though.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

I’m running it on a 256GB SSD, and have it tweaked too. Not entirely convinced that the tweaks are necessary, though... What tweaks have you done? Any non-obvious services stooped/set to manual start?

From memory, I think I followed Black Vipers tweaks...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy

Just found this:

https://github.com/madbomb122/BlackV...ster/README.md

Sounds like it might be useful (and very current!)

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    I tweak the F*** out of mine mate. SSD though.
    Mind a rundown of what kind of tweaks?

The test machine will be an older x230. Current config:
    Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.17.5-1-ARCH
    Uptime: 26m
    Packages: 723
    Shell: zsh 5.5.1
    Resolution: 1366x768
    WM: herbstluftwm
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3360M @ 4x 3.5GHz [47.0_C]
    GPU: intel
    RAM: 1559MiB / 15861MiB

It should work okay from what I see.

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    Most everything runs pretty stable on Win10 right now, but Im still using Win 8.1 Enterprise in both my production and DJ VM's. It's just still more stable. That being said, Win 8.1 is also less of a resource hog and doesnt have the issues that Win10 seems to have with virtualization (including recognizing multiple device ID's and addressing them seperately within VMWare for some reason).
    Wait...so you're running DJ software in a VM? Is it on Hyper-V? I was under the impression that it still wasn't a preferred option...

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Just found this:

https://github.com/madbomb122/BlackV...ster/README.md

Sounds like it might be useful (and very current!)
    Interesting...I might have to look at that.
    I'm mostapha. I lost control of that acount and just decided to create another one.

Setup Thread

Tech Wizard

Well, I did it. My old X230 is running Win10. It's the first time I've voluntarily run Windows in 14 years.

Quick lessons:

1) Logging in with a PIN is freaking stupid. So is authenticating over the internet. And not being able to set a login password separate from your MS account. Seriously, "security" on windows is still retarded.

2) Wavelab and most of the plugins work. And thankfully, I've got authorizations left for anything that's not on an iLok/eLicenser (which I honestly prefer). The ones that "don't work" haven't been installed yet.

3) Traktor appears to function. But I have no idea how to migrate my track collection without using iTunes. I don't think I've ever done that. I'm thinking about moving it all into dropbox and letting it happen as automatically as possible.

4) The iTunes installer from the windows store doesn't work. Most of the reviews talk about it failing at the "permissions" stage, but it doesn't even get that far for me. Apparently, that's one more thing Microsoft can't do right. Seriously, what's wrong with just downloading an installer from the vendor like every decent company?! It's not like iTunes has any copy protections.

5) I miss herbstluftwm. I keep typing key commands that don't do things or do the wrong things.

6) There are other reasons I want to like it, and I'm sure I can get to the point that it's usable. But man they do things dumb.

7) Hyper-V still advertises features that it doesn't seem to implement.

Setup Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast