Is there a reason why CUE is above PLAY on CDJs?

Default Is there a reason why CUE is above PLAY on CDJs?

I'm new to CDJs, previously having only used controllers with custom mappings (Launchpad and Midi Fighter Twister). I don't understand why anyone would want the CUE button above the PLAY button. I usually press the CUE button repeatedly in sync with the beat as the drop-in point approaches, at which point I press the PLAY button once to start playback. The problem is that while I'm hitting CUE my whole hand is over the PLAY button, which makes it very hard to aim for since... I can't see it. Why isn't the PLAY button at the top? Maybe for "historic" reasons?

Don't be so ridiculous.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
    The problem is that while I'm hitting CUE my whole hand is over the PLAY button, which makes it very hard to aim for since... I can't see it. Why isn't the PLAY button at the top? Maybe for "historic" reasons?
    Then don't hit the play button. Hit cue again but hold it and then press play.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

It's a design focused around muscle memory and ergonomics. It is easier to tap cue then move down to tap play or to hold cue with your middle fingers then hit play with your index finger. This way you are only moving your fingers to hit the play button, instead of your whole hand, wrist, and/or arm.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Don't be so ridiculous.
    This made me laugh. Also I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by scoox View Post
    ... I can't see it.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
    I usually press the CUE button repeatedly in sync with the beat as the drop-in point approaches, at which point I press the PLAY button once to start playback.

Tech Guru

if you look at the CDJ500, the Play button was in the same place ( and same shape) as the Start/Stop button on a Technics TT...since TTs don't have a cue button (thats what your hands are for), Pioneer added it above the Play button...like the_bastet said..muscle memory. And there it has stayed ever since.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Tech Mentor

wow djs complaining about pressing play, whatever happened to cueing up records?