[article] the epidemic of passable tech house
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default [article] the epidemic of passable tech house

interesting read. I think it's all just a sign of the times. Anyone can make a track these days. Anyone can publish a track.

Thoughts? (please be polite to each other)

https://mixmag.net/feature/the-epide...ble-tech-house
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

That’s exactly how it’s always been.

Fucking dull.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Tech House in that sense might be the most boring genre ever. Even though the producers do have skill and release on big labels, the sound is simply as flat as a pancake. It's funny how the producers make it so obvious that they produce boring music. They even seem to select the most lackluster vocals from the entrire sample pack. Listen to these beatport hits, anything more to say?

I have to admit that sometimes I do get into the mood of listening to such kind of music when I have conversations with people laying down on the meadow and we look for some background noise.
    But as a DJ this sound could actually be quite cool to play. Use 4 Decks, set loops and add effects and play around. Maybe we all didn't understand that Tech House is actually Tool House and designed for exactly that purpose.
    Maybe a bit of exaggeration but you guys get the point ;-)

I don't know if i can agree with either of you. I think people like Shonky, Claude Von Stroke, Perfect Driver Records, Chus and Ceballos, Shiba San do a good job of presenting their idea of Tech house.

Just like all of dance music, once people started moving into a new genre they buried it in trash that you have to pick around to find the good stuff.

Fucking Seb Fontaine.

I swear to god he played the same song for 2 hours once...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    I don't know if i can agree with either of you. I think people like Shonky, Claude Von Stroke, Perfect Driver Records, Chus and Ceballos, Shiba San do a good job of presenting their idea of Tech house.

Just like all of dance music, once people started moving into a new genre they buried it in trash that you have to pick around to find the good stuff.
    Some of these big artists HAVE to put their own flavor on their tracks like the artists/label you mentioned.. They have their own sound and style while a lot of tech house producers do not. It's especially obvious when you talk about UK type tech house... Fucking EVERYTHING is starting to sound the same. As a tech house producer myself, I try to put my own twist on my tracks as best as I can. It's hard to stand out in this genre, but it's even worse when talented producers settle with simply fitting in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    Some of these big artists HAVE to put their own flavor on their tracks like the artists/label you mentioned.. They have their own sound and style while a lot of tech house producers do not. It's especially obvious when you talk about UK type tech house... Fucking EVERYTHING is starting to sound the same. As a tech house producer myself, I try to put my own twist on my tracks as best as I can. It's hard to stand out in this genre, but it's even worse when talented producers settle with simply fitting in.
    isn't that the challenge of being an artist? Develop your own style and stand out?

Is it alright that I don't have a clue what you're all talking about?

And, while I'm asking questions, are 'tech house' and 'techno' the same thing?

I should probably Wikoogle this whole 'house' thing, carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by Spy da Man View Post
    Is it alright that I don't have a clue what you're all talking about?

And, while I'm asking questions, are 'tech house' and 'techno' the same thing?

I should probably Wikoogle this whole 'house' thing, carry on...
    As a DJ, you should probably have at least a basic understanding of what some of the bigger genres in electronic music are...

No, tech house and techno are not the same thing, though they share elements (tech house fuses techno and house, to some extent). Generally, tech house tends to be slower, with a lot more groove/swing to the rhythm. It has afro-influence in a lot of tracks.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Quote Originally Posted by astromech View Post
    As a DJ, you should probably have at least a basic understanding of what some of the bigger genres in electronic music are...
    While I hear what you're saying, I don't think it's technically possible for any one DJ to know everything about every genre (even on a 'basic' level), especially when it's a genre that one doesn't like/listen to on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by astromech View Post
    No, tech house and techno are not the same thing, though they share elements (tech house fuses techno and house, to some extent). Generally, tech house tends to be slower, with a lot more groove/swing to the rhythm. It has afro-influence in a lot of tracks.
    Thank you for the explanation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast