Need Your Opinion on Which Vinyl Turntables to Buy
    Tech Student

Default Need Your Opinion on Which Vinyl Turntables to Buy

Hi guys! I know we primarily deal with digital tech here, but I also know that many of us started out with analog, so I'm leaning on your wisdom here!

I'm a bedroom DJ. I have a small (but growing) collection of about 60+ records that I love to enjoy on my current set of Stanton tables. They are the STR8-30 model that I purchased in 2004. They're just basic tables that do only what I need, play vinyl. Unfortunately it seems they are dying, as they are unable to keep a solid BPM anymore. So I'm shopping for some new tables to replace my 14-year old ones.

So my budget for a pair of tables is $600. I don't want to spend any more than $300 per table, and given that I'm a bedroom DJ that doesn't travel or do gigs, that seems like a reasonable budget to me. I strictly play trance/techno/house music so scratching is not a priority.

I'm looking on Amazon at two sets of tables and I can't decide which I should buy. There's the Audio Technica LP120-USB for $299 each, and the Stanton T92USB for $239 each, and also the Stanton T92-MKII for $299 each, but I'm not sure why I would purchase the MKII over the AT-LP120USB.

Now everything I have seen online points as the AT LP120-USB. Everyone is saying that AT makes a better table overall. That I cannot argue. I totally agree. But I wonder if that higher level of quality matters to someone like me. I mean, I just used a pair of Stanton STR8-30's for 14 years after all. The feature list between the three of them is similar. I prefer the modern looks of the Stanton line (and the T92's are $120 cheaper) so I'm not sure if the extra price for the AT's is worth the money considering I won't be playing professionally.

What do you guys think? Should I pay an extra $60 (per table) for the AT's? Or should I save the extra money for vinyl and be just fine with the Stanton tables?

I think the difference largely comes down to aesthetics. The insides are from Hanpin, who make all the modern direct drive turntables (apart from Technics) and then the various manufacturers such as Pioneer, Audio-Technica, Reloop, Stanton, etc. change the style.

I personally like the look of the the LP120-USB because it's damn close to a Technics. The LP120 also has adjustable feet, which I like for levelling. I don't think the T92USB has that. I have Technics now, but used to have a Hanpin similar to the T92 and you couldn't adjust the feet, which I really didn't like and it made it very awkward to make it level. I really don't like the styling of most of the Stanton type Hanpin's, but that's me.
    Xone92/X1 MKII X 2/F1/Macbook Pro 13/Technics SL1210 MK2's
    https://soundcloud.com/timbo21-1/tracks

Radio Show Every Friday & Saturday Night 22.00-00.00 BST
    http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/timbo...-london-radio/

ATLP1240's. They are the most comfortable and sturdy Super OEM's currently available on the market. They also hold a mid-range price tag.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

I wouldn't buy anything new. There are so many good ones going second hand for so little money.

Tech Guru

used 1210s....because they're what i know best and will last a lifetime
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Used 1200s.

The trouble with buying used 1200/1210's is that a pair within budget will probably be as old, if not older than, the turntables you're replacing and aren't guaranteed to be more reliable. Having said that, if you know what you're looking at and get a chance to see/audition a pair before you buy them, then it probably is the best option.

However, given the description of your circumstances, if you do decide to buy new just choose the ones that you favour as they're all pretty much the same under the hood (within a given price range).

Tech Mentor

If you're not stuck on Technics, getting the Hanpin Super OEM TTs comes down to where in the world you live. Different brandings hold different turf across the world for them.

Tech Wizard

Interesting discussion.
    Which is the closest to a Technics in feel and in use?
    I have a single M5G left now so if I were to get a 2nd which would be the most advisable ?
    I liked the look of the Reloops but don't really know much about these Super OEMs beyond having read a few reviews.

To the Original Poster: what did you end up buying ?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by A$H View Post
    I've had a pair of Reloop RP7000's for a few years now and I think they are great. They are built like a tank, never broken down on me, I've never had an issue with them, they have torque adjustment, extra wide pitch control if you need it, and a reverse switch. I can quite happily say that they are excellent and well worth buying.
    Nice, I've read some good reviews of those. Is there any reason to get a RP8000 instead or just stick with the RP7000?
    I saw a video recently with turntables that didn't have tone arms, they had RANE written on them, but I've never come across those until yesterday.

Edit: looks like a Rane Twelve controller.
    YouTube ¬ Facebook ¬ MixCloud ¬ SoundCloud ¬ Resident Advisor ¬ Twitter

Equipment: Traktor S8, Traktor X1 (v1), NI Audio 6 plus timecode vinyl, Allen & Heath K2, Technics SL-1200 M5G, Pioneer CDJ2000, Novation Launchpad (v1), Korg Kaoss Pad KP3, Alessis DM5, m-Audio Ozone midi keyboard, USB electric guitar.