Managing FLAC library for DJs? (OSX)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Managing FLAC library for DJs? (OSX)

Does anyone use a FLAC DJ library on MacOSX? I currently manage my library in iTunes, which integrates well with Traktor. iTunes has issues but I like the interface for editing tags and organizing my collection, and it's easy to import my iTunes playlists into Traktor. But of course iTunes annoyingly won't recognize FLAC files. So currently I have a separate FLAC library that I use Plex for listening to, but I don't (yet) use them in Traktor. Plex is fine for listening but it's really made for video content so its FLAC organizing and editing tools are useless. Can anyone recommend good OSX software for managing a large FLAC library, particularly one useful to digital DJs? I've tried clementine and it is way too buggy.

I realize ALAC is an option that is available to both iTunes and Traktor, but it is not supported by rekordbox, and I want lossless library that I can pop on a USB stick and use with CDJs when I need to.

Thanks for any suggestions!
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Wizard

I'm using paid software:

- Swinsian as iTunes replacement
    - Meta from https://www.nightbirdsevolve.com for Tag management
    - Mixed in Key for key analysis

As I'm using rekordbox and serato, and for backup reasons, my library is kept on a NAS drive and synchronized via Chronosync to the laptops. Using iTunes only to have its playlists in my DJ softwares is not worth the efforts imho.

Quote Originally Posted by vzk View Post
    I'm using paid software:

- Swinsian as iTunes replacement
    - Meta from https://www.nightbirdsevolve.com for Tag management
    - Mixed in Key for key analysis

As I'm using rekordbox and serato, and for backup reasons, my library is kept on a NAS drive and synchronized via Chronosync to the laptops. Using iTunes only to have its playlists in my DJ softwares is not worth the efforts imho.
    Downloading Swinsian and Meta now; thanks! $20 each is not bad if they do the trick. I also started playing with the free download of rekordbox which might do what I need (though it doesn't seem to be that useful as a standalone player).

Tech Mentor

Why not use Wav or AIFF?

The capacity of USB sticks now makes using non compressed audio perfectly viable.
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

Why? that seems to create even more problems. My goal is to be able to edit ID3 tags (I tend to use the "Comment" tag significantly), sometimes in groups, and I want the tags to be read across platforms. FLAC is better supported across platforms when it comes to ID3. And I really don't want gigantic files, regardless of the idea that I can theoretically buy bigger USB sticks, hard drives, etc. FLAC is common enough these days, what do people use to do this?

Also - I need (obviously) the tagging to impact the file, not the program's proprietary database. After doing a bunch of work on tags in rekordbox I see that none of it is saved to the files themselves

You’re aware that you need an XDJ-1000MK2 or CDJ-2000NXS2 to play FLAC files?

AIFF files support ID3 tags just fine as well, and are supported on all CDJs and XDJs from the last 10 years.

Rekordbox does write common ID3 tags to files, but I would still use a proper ID3 tag editor before importing your tracks into Rekordbox.
    Last edited by ErikMinekus; 09-03-2018 at 05:01 PM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    Why? that seems to create even more problems.
    Primarily because iTunes supports wav / AIFF. Your original post stated you use iTunes for your music management, so i was offering you a solution that would fit with your current workflow. And as @ErikMinekus has mentioned above, AIFF files also support ID3 tags.
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

The big thing here, that LOTS of people miss (and, like the OP, learn about the hard way) is that you want to keep the tags in the files themselves - NOT in any softwares library/database.

Massive thing. For windows users, there’s MP3Tag. You really shouldn’t be using any other software for tagging your files.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    The big thing here, that LOTS of people miss (and, like the OP, learn about the hard way) is that you want to keep the tags in the files themselves - NOT in any softwares library/database.

Massive thing. For windows users, there’s MP3Tag. You really shouldn’t be using any other software for tagging your files.
    MP3Tag is BAE
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by ErikMinekus View Post
    You’re aware that you need an XDJ-1000MK2 or CDJ-2000NXS2 to play FLAC files?

AIFF files support ID3 tags just fine as well, and are supported on all CDJs and XDJs from the last 10 years.
    No I wasn't :-/ I haven't used a CDJ since I sold my mk1 (yes, purchased in like 2002!) about 5 years ago. And tbh I haven't messed with digital much since at least that long, only Traktor for the occasional gig; at home I've only been spinning vinyl exclusively. So sorry for my ignorance

I was also under the impression that there were issues with ID3 for AIFF files but I haven't looked into that sort of thing in years either. It sounds like AIFF might be the way forward for me, which does solve the problem of wanting to stick to iTunes. Is that what most folks use who are doing lossless in say Traktor? I guess I could also use ALAC for iTunes and Traktor and just export to AIFF if I ever need to play off a flash drive.

There is a mac version of mp3Tag that works through wine but I just tried it and it got all the columns confused (e.g. the Year column was showing the key) and that was enough to scare me off. It looks cool tho Is there any reason to prefer an mp3Tag-like program over the interface in iTunes (or Swinsian, which I've played with the last couple days)?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast