Itunes 12.9 ....there's no longer a stand alone installer for the latest version.
    Tech Mentor

Default Itunes 12.9 ....there's no longer a stand alone installer for the latest version.

Here's an interesting problem.

My primary DJing machine is now a windows laptop, but I keep my MacBook Air as a backup.

I manage my music & playlists in iTunes on the windows machine, then copy my music & iTunes folder to an external drive to use with the Mac (once i've gone in to iTunes pref's on the Mac & pointed it towards the correct location for my music). .....on the whole this works fine. Traktor on both machines can see my iTunes playlists & everything is lovely.

Last week or so, my windows machine updated iTunes to 12.9. This happened automatically via the Microsoft store.

My Mac is still on 12.8, so won't recognize my iTunes collection from the PC. I assumed this wouldn't be a problem as i thought Apple would post a stand alone installer for iTunes 12.9 as soon as Mojave launched.

Here's where it gets problematic though.... there is no longer a standalone installer for the latest version of iTunes. Good old apple have rolled it in to the Mojave installation package!

https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Apart from updating my Mac to Mojave, has anybody got any ideas. .....the Mac is now only for backup, so as long as Mojave is stable(ish) i'd consider doing that.
    I can't roll the PC back to itunes 12.8, as it will complain that my iTunes library was created with a new version.

Help!
    Last edited by thisisian; 09-24-2018 at 01:45 PM.
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

As for a short-term solution...can you export the library in a more open format and use that? There was a time when you could export playlists in at least XML if not an even more portable way. If not, and you just want to use the Air as a backup computer, there's always boot camp, since you can obviously get the new version on windows.

I know, I know...it sounds really weird for anyone who's known me for a while to hear me say that, but...I'm about done with Apple. I'm sick of them breaking things and taking steps backwards with hardware every time something new comes out.

Does this stop Traktor using the iTunes Library on tge Mac? I don’t think it would?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Does this stop Traktor using the iTunes Library on tge Mac? I don’t think it would?
    The Mac won't open the tunes library imported from the pc, as was created on a more recent version (12.9)

I know what you mean though Patch, apple messing with stuff is frustrating. In the end (because I'm far to impatient to wait for sensible advice from clever people on forums) I upgraded the Mac to Mojave late last night. ...as I've already said, it's now my backup machine so not quite as critical as it was.
    All good so far.
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

You could have tried putting the iTunesLibrrary.xml in a non-iTunes folder on the Mac, then re-pointing Traktor to that file...

I’m looking at switching to MediaMonkey from iTunes for my library management. There’s a script (Sigma posted about it YEARS ago!) that exports MM Smart Playlists to a “dummy” iTunesLibrary.xml that Traktor can read.

Wild stuff. I’m -just- looking into it - but it certainly looks like an iTunes beater.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

On Windows I went back to 12.8, problem solved.
    The iTunes folder contains a map with the previous 12.8 library.

Had the same problem as you, iTunes and a nas syncing to three devices (2 x W10 and an old iMac with no Mojave support).