Audio 8 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audio 8

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    Unfortunately USB-C -> Thunderbolt adapter + Thunderbolt -> Firewire adapter is the way to go with these things. I haven't used the Zero 4 but I have several Firewire devices and I don't even trust them through Thunderbolt. I had many problems with my Evo5 soundcard; it all worked fine but if you tried recording the digital signal via Firewire there were weird distortion problems. I wound up selling my Apogee Firewire soundcard because of similar issues when using the adapters -- it sounded and worked great unless I wanted to record the digital signal. Troubleshooting didn't help and Apogee help was limited since the soundcard was discontinued. So I bought a Focusrite USB soundcard which I don't like nearly as much (latency is not really acceptable) but USB has never given me trouble like this.

If you have Firewire working well, I'm impressed I love Macs but it's annoying as hell that they stopped supporting Firewire and now Thunderbolt. Best bet might be to get a 2013 Macbook, don't upgrade the software too much, and take good care of it.
    I had to use a usb to pcmcia adapter to firewire pcmcia card to use an old firewire camera i had some footage on from the attic. Holy crap was it more work than I expected.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Mentor

That's just reminded me, I've got some old MiniDV videotapes & an old camcorder with a firewire connection. I should really get them archived, while i've still got a computer with a working firewire adaptor.
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

Yeah...Apple finally lost me as a customer. Apparently, I'm not a part of their target market anymore.

On the bright side, Win10 doesn't suck as much as XP did.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Yeah...Apple finally lost me as a customer. Apparently, I'm not a part of their target market anymore.

On the bright side, Win10 doesn't suck as much as XP did.
    Thanks for all the replies. For now I am stuck with a mixer certified for Traktor that I can't use & a sound card that is a paper weight. I am considering getting an S4 MK3. At least I know that will play nicely with Traktor for quite a long time.
    2x Denon Dns 3700s, Korg Zero 4, NI x1, Macbookpro, KRK rocket 8s, KRK sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Percy View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. For now I am stuck with a mixer certified for Traktor that I can't use & a sound card that is a paper weight. I am considering getting an S4 MK3. At least I know that will play nicely with Traktor for quite a long time.
    Growing pains are hard. (and I don't mean for that to sound heartless)

When I got my first studio job (in like 2011, I think, maybe 2008), I was kind of shocked to find that they were mostly still using PowerPC Macs. When things broke, they were hitting up ebay for old, outdated hardware to fix the computers. And they were using PT HD systems old enough that my laptop noticeably did more.

It confused me at the time; it kind of makes sense now. The growing pains from changes like this are a bit crazy. If you're happy with what your stuff does, it often makes more sense to take the computer off the internet and just not upgrade/update anything. The downside is that you will hit a point where you have to upgrade...and when that time comes, you have to upgrade almost everything.

If you're happy with a (relatively) affordable all-in-one, they make a lot of sense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12