Smart Knobs in Traktor Pro 1.2.2 with Endless Encoders
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Smart Knobs in Traktor Pro 1.2.2 with Endless Encoders

Hello All,

I'm trying to set up smart knobs to turn on an effect and control the dry/wet amount with the endless scroll knobs on my Numark Total Control. I'm halfway there but I can't seem to get them working 100% correctly. Currently it works correctly when I turn the knob to the right, but as soon as I turn it to the left a little bit, the effect turns off. I wanted the smart knob to turn off the effect only if it was turned back to the original position (the far left)

Here are the Traktor configs I have set up now:
    Advanced/Dry Wet: type- encoder, interaction mode- relative, no invert
    Effect On: type- button (only choice), interaction mode- hold, inverted

-effect panel mode and effect select are working fine so I've left their settings out

I've played around with other settings with no more success. Adding a copy of the effect on command without invert doesn't seem to work properly either Any ideas for a correct, working Traktor configuration solution without hardware mods or additional software?

Thanks in advance,
    -DJ Stormeagle

Tech Mentor

I don't think it can be done unfortunately.
    Your encoder isn't sending the right sort of message for a smart knob.
    The encoder basically sends a +1 and a -1 depending what direction it is turned.
    A knob send 0 - 127 with it's location deciding what number to send.
    My understanding of smart knobs is that when the knob in at 0 the button is off and when the knob is turned and hence now has a value of 1 - 127 then button is on (the button only know 2 values 0 (off) and 1 (on) so any value greater than 1 is on.

Either way having no 0 point on the encoder means you won't be able to make it a smart knob without bomes or another translator.

Thanks for the quick response Remote. I had a feeling that this was the issue, but I wasn't sure if there was a non-mod/addt'l software work-around. Smart knobs work great when I map them to the two "gain" knobs, too bad the rest are endless encoders!

Tech Mentor

well if you want you can work around it with bomes and some coding skill.
    Would be something like writing a script that counts the encoders turning.
    So that when you start turning it activates the button and it goes 0 - 127 then when you turn it back it goes from 127 - 0 and when is reaches 0 it sends the button again.

I didn't send much time playing with bomes when I had it but I'm pretty sure you can do this with the full version. But it depends how much time you want to spend on it. Then encoders are push as well aren't they? Put on/off on the push should give you a pretty good amount of control.

yes that is something you can do with bomes

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

You can have Bomes convince Traktor that your infinite knob is actually an absolute knob. Bento helped me code it a while ago, so if you go that route I can dig up my rules for it if he doesn't get here first.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by Remote View Post
    Then encoders are push as well aren't they? Put on/off on the push should give you a pretty good amount of control.
    Unfortunately they aren't push on/off. Each encoder has a button below it which I'm using for a toggle on/off right now but this makes adding effects a two-step process, not the ideal "power set-up" like a smart knob.

I'm not too wild about running another program in the background while performing. How much does Bomes add to latency and will this affect the stability of Traktor? I'm running on OSX 10.6.2 with 4GB RAM on my MacBook Pro.

If you could scare up the code, I'll save it for later if I do decide to use Bomes in the future. That way we don't have to have another whole thread on this set-up later on.

-Thanks for all the replies!

i don't know any exact figures but i don't believe your average uses of bomes translator adds little or any noticeable latency. it is a very small stable program that i personally have never had any trouble with.

careful though it gets addicting and i found myself doing more midi translator stuff then i was doing music stuff.

if you do a search for absolute to relative knob on bomes forums you should find some threads about it.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Bomes isn't going to add anything to your latency. It's not a huge program, doesn't really take up any video processing power, is very bare bones and just simply works.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Hey DvlsAdvct, I'd like to know how to set this up with Bomes if you can find what you guys did to do it. My Axiom25 needs smart knobs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast