Roland DJ-202 Traktor Mapping
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Question Roland DJ-202 Traktor Mapping

Hi all,

I've replaced my Mixtrack Pro with a Roland DJ-202, however I'm still wanting to use Traktor over Serato for a number of reasons.

I knew there weren't many full mappings for a 202 from a quick search but I've programmed MIDI controllers in the past with earlier versions of Traktor so I didn't think it'd be that hard to create a full map. Plus I could customise the performance pads for what I actually wanted rather than drum samples!

Anyway... I have most of the basics figured out and working perfectly fine (jog wheel, EQ, play/pause, cue etc.), however I have two issues:

1) The "Shift" button doesn't work when assigned as a modifier. Other buttons to, but not the "Shift" button. Interestingly it's the same MIDI channel/ID on deck B too, however I wouldn't have thought that would be an issue.

2) I can't seem to get the LED output working correctly. From my previous mappings and other research, it seems everything is correct and kind of works, however the light does not stay lit.
    E.g. when pressing play/pause to start a track, it lights up when pressing the button but doesn't stay lit.
    What does work however, is if I press play on the UI using the mouse! This way, the button stays lit.

I presume this could be something within the controller firmware and to do with button presses and LED outputs but there's not much technical information online about the 202.

Anyone have any suggestions on the above?

I'm willing to put the time in to build a full working mapping for this, just can't get past theses two hurdles

Thanks!

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

1) Shift modifier is probably built in to a firmware. Check the midi channel and note changes when you hold down the Shift button and press other buttons.

2) Can you please upload a screencapture of your Play/Pause output command?

Tech Convert

Stewe,

Thanks for the reply:

1) I thought it could be! I didn't think of trying that. I'll test it when I get home

2) Will upload one when I'm home

I reluctantly had a session with Serato DJ Pro last night just to get some use out of it... Controller 9/10, Serato 3/10.

Cheers!

Tech Convert

Update...

1) Shift + Hotcue pad gives a different MIDI mapping channel/ID and works for deleting hot cues! Thanks for the tip

2) Picture of output mapping attempted to upload below...

Untitled2.jpg

Seems there a bit small but you should be able to click on untitled2 and zoom in.

Can email them you too if it's easier.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

1) The modifiers are built in, that's cool.
    2) Remove the modifier condition "Deck is playing" the rest of settings looks fine.

Tech Convert

1) Awesome, learnt something new today

2) Same results with the modifier set blank. Werid how it works from the UI. Hence why I think they're built into the firmware too. They flash when pushed but don't stay lit. Same for other buttons too.

And when you close Traktor, pressing a buttons also gives that same blinking LED pattern?

Tech Convert

Correct!

Bad news? Not mappable?

I tried to force the Start/Stop sampler LED flashing too through Traktor by changing the MIDI max value to 0 but didn't stop it either.

Maybe if we bypass the Note On message by inverting the Play/Pause command. (check Invert under button Options section)

Tech Convert

I tested it with invert too.

It doesn't flash on play, but does on pause. Again, doesn't stay lit.

Interestingly, one of the first things I did was set the CUE buttons to stay lit constantly by setting the min value to 1 and these stay lit.

The same doesn't work for the play/pause button.

Seems like it's a no go The last thing that's hindering it now!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast