Graphic Equalizer
    Tech Mentor

Default Graphic Equalizer

Hey guys,
    I want to add an equalizer behind my master mixer to sculpt the frequencies for a better sound. Simply I want my setup looking like this:
    Master DJ Mixer -> Graphic Equalizer -> Amp Rack

I consider two units: Art EQ341 and LD Systems EQ 215. I have also had a look at Behringer models but I am not convinced of their quality.

http://artproaudio.com/product/eq341-dual-15-band-eq/

https://www.ld-systems.com/signal-pr...tfq03frkg94gk2

Does anybody have any experience with the usage of such equalizers for events? Do you have other models in your mind? How about the build and sound quality of the two listed equalizers?

Honestly, you probably don't.

The level of control of a graphic EQ just isn't there for actually tuning a room. You can't really fix room modes or serious acoustic issues like that, and they're a weird combination of having a lot of controls on them that give very little control over the sound.

Without considering budget, I'd look at the Dangerous BAX EQ for gentile shaping if I wanted something like that. But, it's really not that necessary for the vast majority of DJ applications. If you're in a club, the sound guy is going to do it. If you're running your own sound, it's more to worry about and better served by a DSP unit or DSP built into the amp(s).

Tech Mentor

Well I was looking for something between 150 - 200 Euros. I thought that 15 Equalizers would be helpful and practical, since I mainly set up an external soundsystem (2x Coda Audio SCP and 4 G715 (2 front, 2 back)) and the room itself is quite refractory because of it's columns and corners. I thought that such an Equalizer could at least be a little helper without too much complexity.

I suppose an eq would be better than nothing, used alongside an rta analyzer you could clean up some frequencies.

In the long run, you're probably better off saving up for a DSP unit.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Quote Originally Posted by Laserbeam View Post
    the room itself is quite refractory because of it's columns and corners. I thought that such an Equalizer could at least be a little helper without too much complexity.
    It actually won't.

It's not a bad thought. I'm pretty sure we've all had it at some point. I tried it a couple times (and other more 'advanced' attempts at the same thing), and it doesn't work out quite the way you want it to. EQs are useful as effects for DJs and shaping sound, but they won't actually correct for room issues like that.

Out of interest what amps are you running with your Coda system?

Also, running speakers in 4 corners may not be the best way to do it, how big is the room?
    Main Gig Comp - MacBook Air 11" 1.3GHz i5, 4GB, 512GB, OS X 10.12.6
    Gig Gear - TSP 2.6.8 & 2.11.2, Kontrol X1mk2 (x2), D2 (x2), S5, Xone:92, Xone:PX5, CDJ-2000 (x2), DDJ-XP1 ... Rekordbox DJ 5 with a few packs ...
    Plenty of studio gear and not enough time ... and a few Nexo PA systems