Key Analysis - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Key Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by astromech
    I'd argue the MiK isn't worth the money for key analysis. Especially if you can use KeyFinder.
    This is from 2015, but still...

https://djtechtools.com/2015/11/16/k...-2015-edition/

Mixed In Key 7 (and 6)
    Mixed In Key’s algorithm remaining the reigning champion in this domain, but did the new update to the software from 6 to 7 make a difference? In our testing, the results were identical – meaning that if an upgrade is only really important if you’re looking for auto-cue points, better energy levels, etc – in terms of the results in key detection, there was no difference. Either way MiK landed the top slot yet again!

Major/Minor Triad Test: 75% – six incorrect.
    # of correct tracks (vs human volunteer consensus): 57 (86% correct)
    # of Major / Minor misreads: 2

Keyfinder 1.26
    Keyfinder is the only free piece of software on this list – and likely the best hope for beating Mixed In Key someday. While the 2.0 version of the software was taken down due to crashing issues, 1.26 still does pretty well in this contest. We’re waiting on a copy of 2.0 in the next week and we will do a followup article to see how it fares.

Major/Minor Triad Test: 33% – 13 incorrect.
    # of correct tracks (vs human volunteer consensus): 43 (65% correct)
    # of Major / Minor misreads: 5

65% vs. 83%.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Get MiK. It's worth the money.

And - get MP3Tag IMMEDIATELY!!! MiK does write to filename, but, MP3Tag can take the tags, or the filenames, or parts of the tags, or parts of the filenames, and work absolute MAGIC with them.

It's free, but it is invaluable. I couldn't live without it.
    Thank you. I use MP3Tag currently, but for some reason, the three major DJ Softwares don't write info to Wav Tag info. I didn't know Mixed in Key had the ability to write to filename. Im gonna have to go purchase MiK now. :-)
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by RMJ View Post
    If you have money, sure pay for MiK, though keyfinder is free and supposed to be very accurate. I've used it and liked it, but no software is 100% accurate so always use your ears, and if you have time key them yourselves!

In the case of the original poster, if he's made any of the samples himself, he probably knows the keys for them already, while the rd party samples will have to be scanned and tagged etc.
    I pull a lot of samples from old records, sampling while out and about of things I hear, sampling vocals and instruments when I get paid to record live performances, etcetera. I dont go back and visit them for use, sometimes for months, so it'd be nice to just analyze in bulk as opposed to going through and manually keying every sample one by one.

What is the website for KeyFinder? A google search brought up pretty much everything else (a lot of software piracy arrrrg).
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by ErikMinekus View Post
    Mac only. :-(

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    Mac only. :-(
    There is an older Windows version but I haven't used it since my MacBook died Look at the bottom left of that page for v1.25 and hopefully that will work

I guess you can try to use mp3tag and batch rename them if that fails but .wav tags are tricky, so I understand now why you want to analyse and write the key straight to the filename. Perhaps you'll have to use MiK, if someone can confirm that it will do exactly what you need. Good luck!
    YouTube ¬ Facebook ¬ MixCloud ¬ SoundCloud ¬ Resident Advisor ¬ Twitter

Equipment: Traktor S8, Traktor X1 (v1), NI Audio 6 plus timecode vinyl, Allen & Heath K2, Technics SL-1200 M5G, Pioneer CDJ2000, Novation Launchpad (v1), Korg Kaoss Pad KP3, Alessis DM5, m-Audio Ozone midi keyboard, USB electric guitar.

Tech Wizard

Ok, I just tried KeyFinder on Win10 and it works. I tried one flac file and it detected the key. Under the "edit" menu, select "preferences" and at the bottom left under the "Tagging" section is the option to write to filename with a dropdown that lets you select "append" or "prepend".

You can also use custom key codes that correspond to musical keys, if that helps, such as the Camelot Wheel (01A, 02B, etc)
    YouTube ¬ Facebook ¬ MixCloud ¬ SoundCloud ¬ Resident Advisor ¬ Twitter

Equipment: Traktor S8, Traktor X1 (v1), NI Audio 6 plus timecode vinyl, Allen & Heath K2, Technics SL-1200 M5G, Pioneer CDJ2000, Novation Launchpad (v1), Korg Kaoss Pad KP3, Alessis DM5, m-Audio Ozone midi keyboard, USB electric guitar.

I ended up creating a bunch of samples in single notes such as piano notes, pads, sine waves, square waves, triangle waves etcetera. I notated the keys.

Keyfinder worked correctly on 8 out of every 12 samples.
    Serato DJ worked 10 out 12
    Traktor worked 9 out of 12
    Rekordbox worked 10 out of 12
    Denon Prime worked 8 out of 12

I got Mixed in Key.
    Mixed in Key worked 11 out of 12

The total sample size was 240 samples

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    I ended up creating a bunch of samples in single notes such as piano notes, pads, sine waves, square waves, triangle waves etcetera. I notated the keys.

Keyfinder worked correctly on 8 out of every 12 samples.
    Serato DJ worked 10 out 12
    Traktor worked 9 out of 12
    Rekordbox worked 10 out of 12
    Denon Prime worked 8 out of 12

I got Mixed in Key.
    Mixed in Key worked 11 out of 12

The total sample size was 240 samples
    Cool. I assume for KeyFinder you used the last win version 1.25 since the newer ones are supposedly much better: http://ibrahimshaath.co.uk/keyfinder/comparison.pdf
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    Cool. I assume for KeyFinder you used the last win version 1.25 since the newer ones are supposedly much better: http://ibrahimshaath.co.uk/keyfinder/comparison.pdf
    Correct. I killed my OSX VM recently and really don't have an urge to bring it back to life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12