Key Analysis
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Key Analysis

Default Key Analysis

Hey everyone. Is there a key analyzation tool that will write the key to the filename. I want to analyze my entire library of samples and add the ktt to the filename.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    Hey everyone. Is there a key analyzation tool that will write the key to the filename. I want to analyze my entire library of samples and add the ktt to the filename.
    Keyfinder does it, and will write to the key or comment field. I think Mixed in Key may do so as well, but I haven't used that.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJ View Post
    Keyfinder does it, and will write to the key or comment field. I think Mixed in Key may do so as well, but I haven't used that.
    As iterated previously, I need it to be written to the filename, not the tag. I use samples in external hardware.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Wizard

Default Apologies, I didn't read the question correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    As iterated previously, I need it to be written to the filename, not the tag. I use samples in external hardware.
    I *think* keyfinder (freeware) may do it (but I can't confirm as my MacBook died). The way I've written information to the filenames before (eg. for CDJs as I find navigating search very clunky) is like this:
    1. run key analysis (using key analysis software or DJ software). Make sure the keys are written to the tags.
    2. export the relevant files to 1 folder, select them all in File Manager (Ctrl+A) and open them with MP3Tag.
    3. use the "convert" menu and choose the option "Tag - Filename".
    4. select fields for the desired filename to be;
    for example, if I want the filename to be like
    [Key] [Artist Name] - [Track Number] [Song Title]

I would use the format string:

%initialkey% %artist% - $if(%track%<10,"0"%track%,%track%) %title%

Use the drop down menu in the format string window to select which fields you want written to the filename, it's quite easy to use.

5. Filenames will be changed to what you wanted. Use "undo" if it didn't go according to plan, or preview it in a text file.

That's the workaround I used, maybe that can be useful for you too...

If you are looking for an all-in-one solution, I guess we will have to wait for someone else to respond. My MacBook died over a year ago and so I don't have keyfinder anymore to be able to check if that will do it. Nowadays I use Traktor or RekordBox for key analysis.
    Last edited by RMJ; 12-12-2018 at 01:44 AM.

KeyFinder definitely does.

Screenshot 2018-12-12 at 09.22.10.jpg
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Wizard

I remember it appending to file names as you've shown, I imagine it also can put the keys at the beginning of the file too? That makes it easier to search (eg. CDJs and whatever software the original poster is using most likely).

Edit:
    Ps. I also like those songs by Johannes Heil and Many Reasons, I may have to look up the others there, thanks
    Last edited by RMJ; 12-12-2018 at 05:37 AM.
    YouTube ¬ Facebook ¬ MixCloud ¬ SoundCloud ¬ Resident Advisor ¬ Twitter

Equipment: Traktor S8, Traktor X1 (v1), NI Audio 6 plus timecode vinyl, Allen & Heath K2, Technics SL-1200 M5G, Pioneer CDJ2000, Novation Launchpad (v1), Korg Kaoss Pad KP3, Alessis DM5, m-Audio Ozone midi keyboard, USB electric guitar.

Get MiK. It's worth the money.

And - get MP3Tag IMMEDIATELY!!! MiK does write to filename, but, MP3Tag can take the tags, or the filenames, or parts of the tags, or parts of the filenames, and work absolute MAGIC with them.

It's free, but it is invaluable. I couldn't live without it.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Another tip whatever software you use to write keys: write keys in 01A, 01B, 02A, 02B format and not 1A, 1B,..
    That way you get proper sorting keys.

+1 on the KeyFinder and Mp3Tag software. Free and invaluable.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Get MiK. It's worth the money.

And - get MP3Tag IMMEDIATELY!!! MiK does write to filename, but, MP3Tag can take the tags, or the filenames, or parts of the tags, or parts of the filenames, and work absolute MAGIC with them.

It's free, but it is invaluable. I couldn't live without it.
    I'd argue the MiK isn't worth the money for key analysis. Especially if you can use KeyFinder.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by astromech View Post
    I'd argue the MiK isn't worth the money for key analysis. Especially if you can use KeyFinder.
    If you have money, sure pay for MiK, though keyfinder is free and supposed to be very accurate. I've used it and liked it, but no software is 100% accurate so always use your ears, and if you have time key them yourselves!

In the case of the original poster, if he's made any of the samples himself, he probably knows the keys for them already, while the 3rd party samples will have to be scanned and tagged etc.
    Last edited by RMJ; 12-14-2018 at 04:54 AM.
    YouTube ¬ Facebook ¬ MixCloud ¬ SoundCloud ¬ Resident Advisor ¬ Twitter

Equipment: Traktor S8, Traktor X1 (v1), NI Audio 6 plus timecode vinyl, Allen & Heath K2, Technics SL-1200 M5G, Pioneer CDJ2000, Novation Launchpad (v1), Korg Kaoss Pad KP3, Alessis DM5, m-Audio Ozone midi keyboard, USB electric guitar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast