MP3Gain weird result with a song
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MP3Gain weird result with a song

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, I hope I'm posting the right place!

I use MP3Gain for some time now, I set it to 90 db and it has always worked well.

But I have a song setted at 90 db like the others and I have the feeling it sounds the same volume (but I can be wrong), but the waveform displayed in Traktor is completely different from the others:

upload_2019-1-6_1-19-57.jpg

On the left, a "normal" song (the waveform is thin but it's logic as I set my songs at 90 db). On the right, the song that still has a huge waveform after MP3Gain. According to the VU meter, it also sounds a bit louder but this could be due to the fact that the song has a constant loud bassline... Anyway, MP3Gain confirm the 90db volume, so it shouldn't sound louder nor look louder on the waveform, right ?

I also recorded a "set" containing little parts of different songs, and uploaded it on Soundcloud. I'll let you guess where the weird song is:

upload_2019-1-6_1-26-59.jpg

Does anyone have a clue about this? I really want to understand that behaviour. I'm pretty new in DJ stuff and I want to understand what I do and learn good practices as of now.

Thank you very much in advance!

JB

If you only have a controller (no hardware mixer that has hardware VU meters) you can only trust your ears.
    You might as well stop using mp3gain and just enable Traktor's autogain and adjust the gain at same time as you do your Traktor prep.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Thank you for your answer SlayForMoney !

I should have precised that I use MP3Gain in order to not use Traktor autogain as I don't want to be used to that feature because it does not exist on CDJ or with vynils. And my controller (Numark Mixtrack Pro II) does not have knob for gains... I can still use the mouse but I really don't want to.

So, MP3Gain was for me a solution for both Traktor and CDJ Djing.

Maybe the best thing I can do is to buy a little extra controller (like Akai LPD8) to have more knobs (or to buy a better controller of course..).

However, I'd like to understand the problem (how can two 90db songs have waveforms that different!?) because MP3Gain should work well and it does except in the case I described. Until now, I've been pretty satisfied by that solution

JB

mp3gain doesn't say exactly how it does it, but it's not a peak normalizer. It's doing some kind of average level normalization.

One song that's much more compressed (dynamic range, not data) than another will wind up with a smaller-looking waveform just because the peaks aren't as loud once the average levels are equalized.

You could get an BS.1770/EBU R-128 program loudness value using some software (Reaper and RX come to mind, though I know there are free options...Reaper's demo is functionally unlimited, FWIW) and see if it did it "right". But...the sound is more important than the visualization. So, if it sounds good, it's probably right or at least close.

This has bothered me for bloody ages! Tracks they sound fine, but have a smaller waveform.

How do you fix it? I want all my waveforms to be the same “scale”.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

You can't.

The best you can do is stop worrying about the visuals. They don't matter. Or use a smaller deck/waveform view so the differences are smaller.

My OCD will not let me not worry...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    My OCD will not let me not worry...
    It's not the size of the wave but the length of the track...:P
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Thank you all for your answers !

Well, you're definitely right, it does not sound bad to me so I shouldn't worry about visualization.

That said, I don't feel very comfortable uploading a set with a waveform like the one I got with Soundcloud (cf. my first message). I mean, it just looks wrong, it's like if I had fucked up something haha...

JB

*whistle*

Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast