2019 Traktor Pro 3 mappings for Pioneer controllers (SX2, SZ, 1000, etc) - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Now made a custom version of my mapping to the DDJ-800. There were very small differences.

-----
    2019 DDJ-800 v6.3.3 - mapping for Traktor Pro 3 and 2 - DJ Estrela

This is a demo of my traktor mapping to the DDJ-800. This is the same mapping as my DDJ-1000 with very minor adaptations (described below).
    All features, all pads, jog scratch and jogFXs taken from the 1000 work fine in the 800. Please see that video for a full description.

These are small differnces that I fixed on this specific 800 mapping:
    - mixerFX selector buttons require 2x presses to toggle (instad of being hold style)
    - beatFX selector has new MIDI codes, and now works as expected

The following are other differences that I did not customized (yet):
    - The Auto-Loop button is missing. Instead please press "Loop In long hold";
    - To exit loop, press shift+exit
    Gear: DDJ-1000, DDJ-SZ, DDJ-SX2, Akai AMX. Laptop: Dell XPS 15
    Mappings for all this gear: https://my.djtechtools.com/users/830428

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Keep it up Pedro! You are doing great job with these mappings.

Tech Wizard

I've now grouped all my demo videos in playlists, per controller family.
    Videos are either long ones demoing every single function of the mappings, or update videos showing latest versions.

DDJ-1000/800 playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...T6P42noqvkPISD

DDJ-SX2/SZ/SRT playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...q4hpeu0o_XyP2l

AKAI AMX playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...bmOJdVQCW6CohR

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ErikMinekus View Post
    I'd love to know more details about how to control the screens on the DDJ-800 and 1000.
    I've now released the BOME mapping for the jog screens.

As promised, below are the tricks I used inside BOME to go around all kinds of Traktor limitations. Please comment with your thoughts and experiences, because I would love to simplify the mapping.

Everything is also documented on a technical file inside the zip:
    Technical Info - BOME DDJ 1000 Screens.txt
    Technical Info - DDJ Controllers.txt

Q2: The BPM and Percentage values are very close, but not exactly the same, of what it displayed on the laptop screen
    A2: Reason: Traktor lacks high-resolution MIDI out messages. Even so, a trick was already implemented to improve accuracy 10x times (compared to a naive mapping).

T2: Traktor receives 14-bit messages just fine (combo messages), but cannot send it.
    This was confirmed by hacking CMDR to generate a valid TSI of a combo message - nothing got sent by Traktor.

As a workaround, accuracy was improved 10x by creating 10x separate 7-bit ranges, each on a separate CC, and reacting to only a part of the whole range, eg: 0.0->0.1; 0.1->0.2; 0.2->0.3; ...
    This lead to the next problem: when the value crosses multiple ranges, potentially all, then all of them independently react with their extreme values. Note that these output values also follow a non-deterministic order.
    This was addressed as follows: collect all outputs until a 10ms timer expires, and ignore the extreme values, keeping only the final intermediate value (which can come in any order).
    If really going to an extreme value, in particular 0.0 or 1.0, collect that with 11th low resolution CC that encompasses the whole range.
    After the timer expires, process the single value as normal
    Q3: The time elapsed/remain is approximate to what is displayed on the laptop screen. Ans/Or, the seconds advances either too fast or too slow.
    A3: Reason: Traktor doesn't send the absolute minutes:seconds position, only the relative percentage position instead.
    The mapping guesses the total track length using an internal clock.
    press shift+quantize (="Wake up") while the track is playing to reset the measurement process.

T3: even with the high-resolution trick explained above, it is still a relative position.
    To transform this into an absolute value, we implement a master clock in BOME with a timer every 100ms. On the seek position code we measure how many ticks elapsed when 0.5% of the track has elapsed without any jumps or interruptions.
    When we have this value, a simple multiplication by 200 gives the estimated track length, to which is then trivial to calculate elapsed/remain values in MM:SS format.
    As mentioned, pressing shift+quantize triggers a "send monitor state" command that resends all values, restarting the measurement process.
    Q4: Needle position sometimes jumps around after scratching.
    A4: Traktor lacks a "jog turn out message", so this is emulated in BOME. Please join the DJTT discussion to improve this in the next version.

T4: The best message to implement the needle position is "beat phase". Significant amount of time was spend using this message. It only sends the -45deg..45deg information. This is accumulated internally to a 0deg..360deg value that is displayed for the user.
    When the user seeks away, we just get a new 45deg position, unlinked to the actual 360 position. (this could be improved by merging with the 1000 points seek relative position descried above).
    Instead, we implemented the full state machine of the deck (stopped, playing, cueing), interpreted the jog touch and jog turn messages directly from the device (instead of traktor), and advanced the needle using the internal fake clock.

Q6: Only decks 1 and 2 have Jog screens. Deck 3 and 4 have no screens!
    A6: This is quite easy to fix, but is laborious. When users report that the mapping is good for decks 1 and 2, this will be ported to 3 and 4 as well
    T6: BOME midi translator lacks arrays, so everything is emulated with groups of global variables. Examples: 1234, ABCD, EFGH, etc
    Q7: Key adjust is displayed correctly (-12..+12), but the key value is always "C"
    A7: Traktor does not have any command to output the absolute key value. Even if that would be the case, Pioneer would display that in non-Camelot codes.

Q9: Does having BOME mapping reduces the reliability of this mapping?
    A9: BOME is MIDI only. The audio path is completely unchanged. So in the worst case only the controls could be affected. Even in this case, BOME only processes the messages going to the DDJ (ie, the LEDs).
    Last edited by djestrela; 09-02-2019 at 10:35 PM.

Tech Wizard

Any comments on the BOME tricks i mentioned?

I've now documented my experiences here:
    https://github.com/pestrela/music_sc...BOME-migration

Next step for me is Midi Linked Modifiers, as described in the Rudi elaphant mapping
    - sequence of events
    - any event as a conditional
    - global variables
    Last edited by djestrela; 10-20-2019 at 09:22 AM.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

I was messing with midi linking mapping devices before Elephant mapping was made but since there were usually 20 and more devices it is impossible to work with slow loading times (when an other device is selected).

I made a remix deck sequencer out of the Freeze Mode output (when NI added the Freeze Mode)

Default SX2 Deck 4 level LEDs

Hi, How do I get the level LEDs to work on deck 4?

DDJ SX2 v6.11

Tech Wizard

This was now explicitely fixed in v6.1.7
    And then jumped to v6.7.0+BOME

Hi, me again. You mention on page 44 of your installation guide that the DDJ-800 firmware has a bug that prevents the jog displays from working in MIDI mode, and that Pioneer has acknowledged this issue.

Do you have a link to where Pioneer acknowledged this? I can only find this thread, where Pioneer claims the issue is with other DJ software and not their firmware, which is just not true.

Tech Wizard

that thread on the official forum matches exactly my experience.

This was my ticket #147606, just at the time of the last firmware so far (1.0.7).

-------------------------

pedro estrela
    2019 Oct 22, 01:31 JST

hi Pioneer,
    I'm the author of the most popular Traktor MIDI mapping for the DDJ-1000:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9tQZEHr8hk

(...)

Pioneer DDJ-1000 MIDI firmware bugs:
    ------------------------------------

(...)

Pioneer DDJ-800 MIDI firmware bugs:
    ------------------------------------
    On the DDJ-800, firmware v1.0.1, I couldn't make the screens produce any MIDI output.
    this was both in "MIDI forced mode" and "Automatic mode".
    The midi table is exactly the same as the DDJ-1000, but using the same code was a no-go.
    Sending the note A6 command directly also did not result at all.

Gabriel (Pioneer DJ Global)
    Oct 24, 17:37 JST

Hi Pedro,

Hope you are well and thank you for contacting Pioneer DJ.

The engineering team answered below:

DDJ-1000

(....)

DDJ-800

Confirmed the issue and added to the issue list.

Kind regards,

Gabriel

Pioneer DJ Support

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast