Minimum Macbook Specs for TPro and VCI-100

Default Minimum Macbook Specs for TPro and VCI-100

I run Traktor with A & H Xone 464 and Technics 12's, MPC 4000, other external effects, RME Hammerfall, Macbook and 2 Dell Laptops.

I'm never moving gear, record crates, or anything heavy ever again.... 25 years is enough. The analog stuff can stay in the studio.

I'm updating with a custom VCI-100, and want to use my current MacbookPro... unless I need to get a new one.

I have a Xone 4D on the way.... but it's way too bulky to go a distance with. New Zealand from the States had weight restrictions of 200 pounds (had to throw clothes and shoes away in LA) .... and many other countries do as well... so I need to get it all in a laptop bag. I don't care how it looks anymore... and neither do the masses. Sound is all that matters and I can still blow up the party. LOL

Is my Macbook high enough on specs to run Traktor Pro and a VCI-100SE?
    I can't afford crashes....

MacbookPro 15 inch
    1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo
    2 Gb 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Echo Audiofire 4
    VCI-100SE arcade edition

Just wondering if anyone is having problems using a similar MacbookPro or if I need a new one.

TIA.. appreciate all of you newstyle DJ's who push the envelope. I'm from the day when I had to build my own trigger boxes for analog gear... and Radio Shack was my best friend. I keep up with the new technology and try to meld old with new... but going straight controller for appearances is a new thing for me.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Dude, im from the old school. I learnt on 2 Belt-Drive SoundLab decks. One of them had the cartridge taped on with electricians tape.

I made the move to Digital Djing 5 years ago and it was the best thing i ever did. Seriously changed my DJing life.

Your Mac can just about run Traktor well enough. You just scrape in with the CPU speed. Can you get more RAM in there. That would be good but 2gig is enough to use with the VCI.
    Ive got a Backup MBP (2.16) that runs PRO just dandy with Timecode or the
    VCI.

All depends on how much you will batter Traktor. 4 decks with loads of FX is gonna take its strain but reasonable use will probably be ok with the MBP you have. Give a whirl.

Karlos

Tech Mentor

Traktor really has very low system requirements. I can run it on my laptop, which isn't even an actual dual core processor, so you should be perfectly fine.
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

Default Thanks....

Seems that I'll just have to put it thru the paces at home for many hours before trusting it implicitly.

I checked the specs and it seems like it would work just fine. i have seen others on threads with similar macbookpros complaining of problems with a similar setup.... however, most had not sanitized their macs from dashboard, font changes and extra junk.

I was actually hurt by the news that Technics will stop making turntables in Feb 2010. I remember the time when I too used belt drive TT's with NO PITCH CONTROL, did it all with fingers. When I got my first pair of 12's I was so blown away!

I guess it's time for a new generation of DJing. I caught so much sheit around Detroit for using the first version of Final Scratch. I was sick and tired of carrying around a coffin of records, and I mean COFFIN (300 records). Back then DJ's thought the records mixed themselves with FS, until you showed them how it worked.... a lot of laptops were stolen that year. LOL

Thanks again.... time for all the old schoolers to try and master something new.