Simple DVS set up with minimal laptop use - Traktor or Rekordbox?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Simple DVS set up with minimal laptop use - Traktor or Rekordbox?

Hi all

I want a simple DVS set up where I'm not tied to a laptop to much and want to interact with it as little as possible when i'm using the turntables. My main aim is to simply play vinyl via timecode - I'm not too interested in effects, cuepoints, extra decks etc. Just a simple set up like traditional x2 decks and mixer, only with digital files rather than real vinyl.

I'm torn between these 2 options though:

Rekordbox
    x2 Reloop RP7000 mk2
    x1 Pioneer DJM250 mk2

Traktor
    x2 Reloop RP7000 mk2
    x1 Traktor Kontrol Z2

I have Rekordbox installed already with my tracks analyzed/cue points set so going Rekordbox/Pioneer mixer would be the easiest route in. I also like Rekordbox software but there would be much more interaction with the laptop when searching, finding and loading tracks. This is what is putting me off.

The Traktor Kontrol Z2 mixer looks perfect as I can navigate and load all the tracks without touching the laptop.
    However, I've only used Traktor a couple of times around 4 years ago so would mean learning the software.
    Is Traktor 3.1 a little more user friendly for basic use without wanting to use the many additional features it has?
    Is it more plug and play now?

Is there any software that can take my Rekordbox tracks and save everything for Traktor use (PC and Mac)?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattcee View Post
    Hi all

I want a simple DVS set up where I'm not tied to a laptop to much and want to interact with it as little as possible when i'm using the turntables. My main aim is to simply play vinyl via timecode - I'm not too interested in effects, cuepoints, extra decks etc. Just a simple set up like traditional x2 decks and mixer, only with digital files rather than real vinyl.

I'm torn between these 2 options though:

Rekordbox
    x2 Reloop RP7000 mk2
    x1 Pioneer DJM250 mk2

Traktor
    x2 Reloop RP7000 mk2
    x1 Traktor Kontrol Z2

I have Rekordbox installed already with my tracks analyzed/cue points set so going Rekordbox/Pioneer mixer would be the easiest route in. I also like Rekordbox software but there would be much more interaction with the laptop when searching, finding and loading tracks. This is what is putting me off.

The Traktor Kontrol Z2 mixer looks perfect as I can navigate and load all the tracks without touching the laptop.
    However, I've only used Traktor a couple of times around 4 years ago so would mean learning the software.
    Is Traktor 3.1 a little more user friendly for basic use without wanting to use the many additional features it has?
    Is it more plug and play now?

Is there any software that can take my Rekordbox tracks and save everything for Traktor use (PC and Mac)?
    There's not really a huge amount to learn in Traktor if you're just spinning DVS. I wouldn't consider that a barrier, IMO.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

If you don’t mind prepping you set list first, you can avoid the laptop entirely (with Traktor, probably RB too).

There’s an option in Traktor to load next track when current track ends - so if you have a set list (either in Traktor or iTunes), you can close the laptop, and go wild.

You could even get a 3rd timecode vinyl and change it after every track to give you the real old school experience! ;-)
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you don’t mind prepping you set list first, you can avoid the laptop entirely (with Traktor, probably RB too).

There’s an option in Traktor to load next track when current track ends - so if you have a set list (either in Traktor or iTunes), you can close the laptop, and go wild.

You could even get a 3rd timecode vinyl and change it after every track to give you the real old school experience! ;-)
    I wouldn't suggest preparing playlists like that. It kind of negates some of the ability of a DJ to be flexible.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

It's an option. I'd never tell anyone how, or how not, to DJ.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy

Tech Convert

Do Pioneer make anything so I can load track etc rather than using laptop?
    I've seen DJM-S9 Mixer but that is overkill and too expensive for my needs.
    DDJ-XP1 looks like it will do the above but again, all those pads are overkill and makes the unit to big.
    Can Traktor Kontrol X1 be used with Rekordbox as the size of it (and price) looks perfect.

Pioneer do the DDJ-SP1. Lovely little controller.

hmnsgi81d7akhhvrqy8v.jpg

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mattcee View Post
    Do Pioneer make anything so I can load track etc rather than using laptop?
    I've seen DJM-S9 Mixer but that is overkill and too expensive for my needs.
    DDJ-XP1 looks like it will do the above but again, all those pads are overkill and makes the unit to big.
    Can Traktor Kontrol X1 be used with Rekordbox as the size of it (and price) looks perfect.
    Yes you can put the controller into it's MIDI Mode where all controls are freely mappable.

Tech Convert

I'm leaning towards Traktor now after playing with the demo purely because of the hardware with no extra boxes needed.
    Is it possible to import my music library from Rekordbox to Traktor keeping all my cue points?

i see theres options of going Traktor > Rekordbox but nothing really going Rekordbox > Traktor?
    Any PC software that can do this?

I'd stick with Rekordbox personally. I use it for DVS and way prefer it to traktor which I used for a while. Also IF you ever play out it's just easier having your playlists already in Rekordbox.

Use in Absolute mode for most vinyl like experience.

The reality is you're going to need to look at your laptop to choose tunes. I have the up/down arrows and left right arrows mapped so i scroll and load into Deck A / B with just those 4 buttons (very easy to set up).

If I were you I'd get a DJM450. If you ever want to use hardware FX you don't have to touch laptop. But DJM250mk2 looks good too.
    Last edited by MaxOne; 03-29-2019 at 01:14 PM.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast