What degree should I go for?

Default What degree should I go for?

I'm a college student at my local community college where I am currently enrolled as a music major. I just finished my first semester and I am still trying to figure out what degree I want or exactly what field I would like to get into. My plan, until yesterday, was to get an associates in Audio Recording and an Associates in Computer Programming.

My goal with that would be to get into designing software such as DAW's, VST's, etc. Until yesterday, when I was watching a video demonstration from Musikmesse 2014 and I realized that what I really want to do is work for a company like Akai, DjTechTools, Native Instruments, or similar companies designing electronic instruments. So my question is, what degree(s) would be best to help me to get into this field? And how do people typically get into this field?

I would imagine if you want to design electronic instruments, you would want some type of electronics engineering degree. Maybe minoring in some type of music degree program would be good if you want to design electronic music equipment. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn85 View Post
    I'm a college student at my local community college where I am currently enrolled as a music major. I just finished my first semester and I am still trying to figure out what degree I want or exactly what field I would like to get into. My plan, until yesterday, was to get an associates in Audio Recording and an Associates in Computer Programming.

My goal with that would be to get into designing software such as DAW's, VST's, etc. Until yesterday, when I was watching a video demonstration from Musikmesse 2014 and I realized that what I really want to do is work for a company like Akai, DjTechTools, Native Instruments, or similar companies designing electronic instruments. So my question is, what degree(s) would be best to help me to get into this field? And how do people typically get into this field?
    Take some calsses in Electronic Engineering and C++.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6