The Perfect Mixer?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default The Perfect Mixer?

Need your opinion and advice:

Current SetUp:

I run Traktor Pro 1.2.3. on a new MacBook Pro 17". Using a NI Audio4DJ interface. MIDI Controller is VCI-100SE. Speakers are QSC K Series, powered 1000 W each: 4 K12s as Mains, 2 KSubs, and 2 K8s for my booth.

I currently mix internally in Traktor using the VCI-100.

What mixer would you recommend I get for this set-up:

Should I get a DJ mixer (which would duplicate many of the VCI-100s features) or a "Live" mixer with more XLR outputs to control my speakers and Main Volume. Or a hybrid?

Also, my Audio4DJ does not have balanced outputs, is it really important to have a sound card with XLR Out? Have you heard the difference?

This is a great forum, thanks in advance for taking the time to answer.
    DJ Alón
    Traktor Pro on 17" & 15" Macbook Pros, Vestax VCI-100SE, Audio4DJ, QSC K12s, KSubs & K8s.

There are a lot of sound guys out there who get nervous when you hand them something to plug in to their big, expensive system besides a balanced xlr. But if you're running your audio4 out to a mixer that does have them, you're fine. No worries!

At home and small club/bar systems, you're really splitting hairs in terms of sound quality to talk about a difference. Again, no worries!

If you're playing out in any place where the sound guy is going to give you looks for your output, they'll have a decent mixer with balanced outs.

I'd still look at getting a nice mixer though. You'd like it. Since you're mixing internal, you might like a Korg Zero4. It's ninjamidiaudiohybrid fun (with balanced xlr outputs at that).

Tech Guru

Tech Convert

Wow, I haven't seen one of those in years! Thanks for the Radio Shack memories.
    DJ Alón
    Traktor Pro on 17" & 15" Macbook Pros, Vestax VCI-100SE, Audio4DJ, QSC K12s, KSubs & K8s.

The perfect mixer for digital DJs is the Xone: 4D, there is really no debate about it. Amazing A&H analog sound and filters, awesome 24/96 20 channel soundcard, and more MIDI controls than anyone could dream of.

If you use Traktor Pro and 4 decks the 4D is perfect. This is my MIDI map overlay, I can do virtually everything without touching the keyboard. Also zero wires is a blessing. When I had a Xone 92 and Audio 8 it was hell with so many RCA cables and more USB plugs for my 1D midi controllers.

I would like to see another controller setup that has that much control over Traktor Pro.

Now all I have is one USB plug for my soundcard and midi on the 4D that goes to XLR outs to my monitors. I do have 4 CDJ-1000s plugged in for when I'm mixing with CDs but for a digital DJ it frees you of all the connections and setup hassle of hooking an audio interface to a real mixer.

Tech Student

The analytical solution for the perfect-mixer retention function, was developed from tracer histograms sampled at the system input, and its output, linked by the convolution integral. Theories were developed for both continuous-output mixer and pulsatile, discrete mixer.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    If you use Traktor Pro and 4 decks the 4D is perfect. This is my MIDI map overlay, I can do virtually everything without touching the keyboard. Also zero wires is a blessing. When I had a Xone 92 and Audio 8 it was hell with so many RCA cables and more USB plugs for my 1D midi controllers.
    Slighty OT: Are you the guy from djf that wanted to hook up extra 1Ds to the 4D for the true 4 deck mixing experience? If so, how did that work out (pls PM me).

In regards to the mixer question, I'm pretty much at the same spot. I've decided to go for a DJ mixer, it's just not as cramped and frees up controls on whatever controller you're using for much more interesting stuff Since I also do streaming radio stuff, I'm currently totally in love with the DJM700 (has XLR mic on top, can put FX on mic channel if needed), along with just 4 Xone 1D for a really nice superknob/"superbutton" four deck setup with as little shift-ing as humanly possible (it really annoys me, soft takeover also just is a really poor workaround /endrant). Everything still in the works though
    Last edited by Krome; 12-17-2009 at 02:52 AM.

Should I get a DJ mixer (which would duplicate many of the VCI-100s features) [/QUOTE]

It seems that you're worried about having extra faders doing nothing on your vci. Not to worry, those can be assigned to effects and the like. They will not go to waste.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by PartyMcFly View Post
    If you're playing out in any place where the sound guy is going to give you looks for your output
    Im sorry but am I the only one that finds this statement childishly amusing?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast