What ever happened to 3 Channel Mixers?

Default What ever happened to 3 Channel Mixers?

So after returning to DJ’n after 15 years and post the digital revolution, I currently run a 2 channel DVS set up. Looking at my first controller for playing out more convenient I wondered what happened to 3 channel mixers. This was always my default for mixing and using samples in the past, now the primary options are 2/4 controllers.

What happened to 3 channel mixers?

With the development and popularity of controllers, manufacturers slashed their product ranges. Hell, it's difficult to find a quality 2ch mixer (with phono preamps, faders and features of same quality as bigger 4ch mixers).
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Most mixers are digital now. The added cost of adding a 4th channel and selling a 12" mixer is easier than taking the chance on selling a 3 channel 10" battle mixer.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

3, while being the magic number, is odd.

No one likes odd numbers.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by A$H View Post
    I always thought three channel mixers looked ugly as furrrrk.
    I loved em. With two turntables and a sampler/drum machine, they were an amazing tool to have. It freed up the send/return loop for FX processors.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    I loved em. With two turntables and a sampler/drum machine, they were an amazing tool to have. It freed up the send/return loop for FX processors.
    That's how I worked for the first several years with a 3-ch vestax. I always kinda wanted to go to an Empath Rotary at some point.

I do still think that going to 4 channels winds up just a little too busy a lot of the time and leads to sets that are only interesting for the DJ. But, apparently the world disagrees with me.

You can always just ignore the extra channels.

I mean...I've used a Rane 2016 for a long time now...there are several channels on it I just don't use. Kind of like how people generally ignored two thirds of their urei/bozak mixers in the disco days....only half once they started adding drum machines.