getting rid of the humm/buzzing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default getting rid of the humm/buzzing

not sure if this is the right place for this topic, so mods please move if this is inappropriate.

i'm getting this humm/buzzing sound when i hit the record button on the audacity program. you can totaly hear through out the entire mix when the sounds are at a minimum. i have ran the noise removal effect on different parameters, and all that is doing is distorting the tunes really bad. right now i'm using a vcm100, akai mpd24, with a inspron quad core. how can get a proper recording?

Tech Guru

try a different audio editor for recording and see if it makes any difference.

if its not a problem with the program or soundcard settings, then it is probably ground loop hum, google it and see if you can rearrange your setup power to get rid of it

good luck
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Tech Wizard

thanks guys! i did a search on ground loop and it turned up a ton of info. looks like i'll be diagnosing my setup tomorrow. thanks again! funny, if i only would have googled humm/buzzing. haha. who knew?

no problem, i would try the things you can do to rearrange your power setup and see if that helps before going out and buying one of the those ground loop hum eliminators.....they often eliminate more then just the ground loop.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Tech Wizard

My tip would be bad sound interface. Input quality DOES matter.

listen to examples of the "60 cycle hum" if you can find it online, and if that's what it sounds like, then it's a ground loop issue. basically it happens if two things that are grounded are connected together. there are cheap little inserts that you can buy that go between a 3-pin outlet plug (the big one on the bottom is the ground), and the wall, and they cut out the ground plug.

like this:

soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Wizard

i am only getting the humm/buzzing sound when i hit the record button on audacity. if i am playing with out recording the sound is good with out the humm/buzz.

i am also using one of those pictured above. it is connected to my power strip's three prong(my house is old and only has two prong outlets on the wall). then my cpu, monitor, amp is connected to the power strip. i'm starting to think it could just be the audio interface(cheap $30 behringer). but i'm trying to test out all other options beore having to buy another better interface. this humm/buzz is going to haunt me till i get it solved. i don't even want to record anything till it is fixed. if you play the soundcloud track i put up you can hear it in the very first couple of seconds before the music covers it up.

hey, thank you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by end1 View Post
    i am only getting the humm/buzzing sound when i hit the record button on audacity. if i am playing with out recording the sound is good with out the humm/buzz.

i am also using one of those pictured above. it is connected to my power strip's three prong(my house is old and only has two prong outlets on the wall). then my cpu, monitor, amp is connected to the power strip. i'm starting to think it could just be the audio interface(cheap $30 behringer). but i'm trying to test out all other options beore having to buy another better interface. this humm/buzz is going to haunt me till i get it solved. i don't even want to record anything till it is fixed. if you play the soundcloud track i put up you can hear it in the very first couple of seconds before the music covers it up.

hey, thank you guys.
    damn, just listened to it. that would haunt me too haha. but i feel like i remember that sound from when i first got my turntables and my mixer and hadn't grounded it properly, but it could totally be the interface as well.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Guru

so, wait, you record whatever you do, and then if you play it back (without record button depressed) there is no hum? like, it only hums during recording, but not during the playback of that recording?

If that is not the issue, and the the actual stuff you have recorded has the hum throughout, throw some eq on there and just try to cut the 60 hz band out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast