Legality??

Thread: Legality??

Tech Wizard

Default Legality??

I am a dj in Nashville,TN that is setting up a show weekly at a rock climbing gym. I will be playing electronic music and would like to set up a live stream radio show via stickam. I am wondering the legal issues with this. Does anybody have any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by djpinecone View Post
    I am a dj in Nashville,TN that is setting up a show weekly at a rock climbing gym. I will be playing electronic music and would like to set up a live stream radio show via stickam. I am wondering the legal issues with this. Does anybody have any advice?
    What legal issues? There are none, don't worry about it. End of thread.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

If you aren't charging for subscribers to the stream or selling advertisements there are no issues.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

so as long as my music is puchased, I wont have a problem with ascap, bmi, or seasac.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Well, once you're spinning for 1000 people a day or something and touring the world and releasing CDs, you'll need to be concerned. But I doubt asscap, bmi or seasac will give a shit.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

actual legal issues (like ones you will get have to deal with) = none

Legal issues in the lawbooks = tons

I assume that this rock climbing gym doesnt really have the permits you would find in a club (which allow dj's to play music that they own, even though they are licensed for private use only). Technically..... I mean, you *cant* play it to other people without the permits, but thats som bs, and as long as the gym has sound permits you will be fine.

at least I think that's what the law says, but I'm just a dumb kid, dont take my word.

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Well, once you're spinning for 1000 people a day or something and touring the world and releasing CDs, you'll need to be concerned. But I doubt asscap, bmi or seasac will give a shit.
    +1
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

it is up to the venue to license the music, even your local restaurant, gas station with radio on in store, need to pay licenseing fees to ascap, etc. at least last time i checked with ascap thats what they told me. i have a leter in my storage from ascap stating it is not the performer's (DJ's) responsiblity to pay licensing. but things do change. as for the streaming for free, i cant answer it, but i dont think it would be a problem, just call ascap and ask when i have worked with them in the past they were very helpfull.