My first real party gig!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My first real party gig!

Literally just got back from my first real party gig. I never knew i could just improvise a playlist the way I did. I went with nothing really planned and mixed as well as i ever have. I used all the stuff I've learnt from this forum and from Ean. Super big thanks for all the articles and tips DJ TechTools! Would have been a pretty plain one in one out set without my controllerism skill set!

I've opened up my VCI-100 and am airing out the beer that got spilt into my cross fader. It stopped going to the full right hand side so hoping a little dry out time will fix that. Really hoping actually... Any advice on this?

Glad i actually made it to the party too. The way there was covered in ice and snow. Was a bit afraid of falling on my back and crushing my gear under my own weight
    The Prime Directive - Electro, Disco & House
    My SoundCloud account: www.soundcloud.com/the-prime-directive
    My Design & Animation Website: www.mintyfreshdesigns.co.uk

good to hear your first gig tourned out well..
    it's 8am here and im just getting back from a huge house party where i span the whole night with some friends.. haha..

to your problem: if the beer dries your crossfader will get very sticky, try cleaning it with distilled water or/and isopropyl alcohol..
    cheers
    Last edited by basspenetrator; 12-19-2009 at 06:25 AM.
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Tech Mentor

Congrats man, I usually give out an attitude to anybody who leaves a beer near my setup, in a house party. Sometimes, I have a cousin or a friend to act as table security.
    Thank Ya!!!

Beer spilt on gear: Now, i am a man
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Yeah was trying to keep beer and drinks away at all times. People are so stupid sometimes. Your massive pint of vodka and redbull isnt going to balance on the side of the DJ table like that! *moves drink*.

I have some Deionised water if that's ok to use as cleaner? Do you just use a cotton bud to clean inside the fader? I can't really see a way of getting cleaning fluid inside other than that Unless i just pore the water in :S

EDIT:

Just tested out the fader again. Still doesnt go to the full right hand side. Gets just over half way there Feels a tiny bit sticky too. I guess the connection between the moving bit and the metal tracks is bunged up with booze. Cant really see though and dont think the cross fader casing comes off.
    Last edited by Mr.Nicklebe; 12-19-2009 at 11:14 AM.

@Mr.Nicklebee you probly want to take the VCI apart - it's not too difficult, and give it a proper good clean with some alcohol spray or compressed air - otherwise it could seize up and get veerrry sticky..

Props on the gig though, sounds awesome

Quote Originally Posted by belchman View Post
    @Mr.Nicklebee you probly want to take the VCI apart - it's not too difficult, and give it a proper good clean with some alcohol spray or compressed air - otherwise it could seize up and get veerrry sticky..

Props on the gig though, sounds awesome
    Yeah taken it apart and cleaned around the cross fader. Just wondering how to go about cleaning the inside of the crossfader itself. Do i just unplug it clean it out with the deionised water i have then leave it to dry for a few days?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nicklebe View Post
    Just wondering how to go about cleaning the inside of the crossfader itself.
    I've normally used a high pressure oxygen spray (I think..) which blows all the crap out. You can get cans from motor garages and the like (as they're used for cleaning car components..)

But yeah, ionised water or meths is a pretty standard method used on analogue crossfaders, so i imagine you can't go too far wrong with that either!

Quote Originally Posted by belchman View Post
    I've normally used a high pressure oxygen spray (I think..) which blows all the crap out. You can get cans from motor garages and the like (as they're used for cleaning car components..)

But yeah, ionised water or meths is a pretty standard method used on analogue crossfaders, so i imagine you can't go too far wrong with that either!
    Cheers man. Probs wont be able to get the compressed air soon enough so just going to give it a good soak in the ionised water. I hope this works

Do a search for Lexite PS. Obviously not an immediate solution but should come in handy if someone tries to get your gear tipsy.
    I've found this a great cleaner for all my electronics/circuit boards/switches. No water, no residue and dries quickly.
    Last edited by space monkey; 12-19-2009 at 02:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast