The "techno" issue
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default The "techno" issue

so, how do you guys feel about anything with a slightly electronic feel to it getting branded as "techno crap" by all the nubs (yes, I'll admit, my sisters remark did sting me a bit).

I was recently asked by my sister (17 y o) why I didnt mix any "normal music". She came into my room while I was working out some uplifting trance, after I just recently had stopped spinning B More. I replied "I do spin normal music". To which she replied, " no all you spin is that techno crap". facepalm.

bleh. sorry guys, just venting my RAEG out here for a little while. I know that the mainstream doesnt know the difference between sub genres (although its kind of easy to get a general feel for them, based on speed, 128 = house etc), but how, and why, was techno the term they decided to apply to everything, instead of the wider, more accurate term EDM (cause techno is already taken by a subgenre!). Any thoughts? (i'm laying blame to europop).

Tech Wizard

One could say the same about the average person and metal (whose subgenres at least equal EDM in sheer quantity).

When it comes down to it, it's just that techno and electronica have become buzzwords for EDM. The average person - who doesn't listen to EDM regularly - simply thinks of it as what others have called it. Because they don't listen to it, they identify it with one word or idea ("beep boop beep boop boop").

Tech Guru

I guess you could say that. I dont listen to much metal myself (if I listed the artists I do listen to, you would probably feel the same irratation I felt at my sister, for improper genre labeling), but I feel like "metal" is a better catch all phrase for... well, metal?

Tech Wizard

Don't worry about what people have to say about "techno crap" because those same people who say that stuff will probably find themselves listening to some form of it or another. It's the path music is taking, away from analog and into computers and electronics.

I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that most people enjoy themselves when they're watching a dj and dance. Haters are always gonna hate... until everyone around them starts liking what they hate.

Tech Guru

hell man, I'm all about some folk like you wouldn't know, I think analog music is going to be around forever (yeah, i know, so optimistic aren't I), but I also LOVE electronic music (cept terrorcore... yeah... no. just no)

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
    I guess you could say that. I dont listen to much metal myself (if I listed the artists I do listen to, you would probably feel the same irratation I felt at my sister, for improper genre labeling), but I feel like "metal" is a better catch all phrase for... well, metal?
    Haha, I don't listen to metal, it's just that there is an absolutely obscene number of genres - each of them distinct in the mind of the metalhead (including "Pirate metal").

Tech Guru

yeah, I just listen to some stuff like Dream theater, Symphony X, Buckethead (proud to have owned like, 4 of his albums prior to GH2), Paul Gilbert, Satch, Vai, Maiden (hehe) blahblahblah, and I know none of that is probably *really* metal, but I dont really care, I still like it and I'm open to new things, like *real* metal (if someone were to give me acrash course). however, most people who label EDM as "techno crap" dont seem to be open to it.

I know exactly how you feel! When I spin school dances, people HATE remixes or anything at all that has a "dancey" feel to it! "quit playing that techno shit" is all I hear! The only way around this is to either spin the original track or find a remix that is not so different from the original. I know exactly where your sister is coming from, I'm only 17 too and it sounds to me like she's your average top40 loving high school student, that's probably why she's said that.
    All I have to do is play music, and make sure it is fist pumpin material.

Tech Wizard

OT, but Buckethead is an intriguingly decent live show. Saw him live 4 years ago and it was fantastic.

DT is "progressive metal"

Regarding remixes etc:
    I got to spin a little get together yesterday (25-35 people) and they were surprisingly positive to the remixes I used.

Granted, bmore remixes of rap tunes aren't super radical, but yeah.

Tech Guru

OT: Know whatcha mean bout Big Bucket's live shows, saw him last year in raleigh (but really he is an extremely eclectic recording artist), and yah, DT is Prog, as is Symphony X kind of.

yeah, bmore mixes can be not too radical, as can some grime/dubstep remixes, bu I still see people turn up their noses. But I dont try to play top 40's remixes, not my thing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast