midi controllers combine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default midi controllers combine

hi there dudes,

i'm using vci 100 which i've recently bought with traktor and i think it lacks knobs for some operations which would be great to do on the fly.

for example right now i can't find a free knob to assign the loop length to (1/4 beats, 1 beat, 4 beats, 16......).
    also i can't figure out how to be able to run 2 effects at the same time and to be able to modify them simultaneously.
    xone 1D would be perfect for these jobs, somebody could suggest something better and cheaper would be great)))))))

my questions:

1)can i operate traktor with 2 midi controllers at the same time? i don't see why not, just asking to be sure not to buy a second midi without purpose.

2)my sound interface Novation NIO often stucks at latencies less then 8ms, anybody had such issues? i guess it's not traktor (the program doesn't freeze) and the laptop is kindda sufficient for these operations : Dual 2 Duo 1.6 Gh, 1 Gb Ram.

any help is apreciated

1) jeeeeeB

Although: traktor can't work two effects on one deck simultanuously; a workaround is to use a master effect over a deck effect.

2) I'm using the numark DJIO getting 2.5ms. No experience with other cards

1) Yes!

[subjective mode]Go for a BCR2000.

2) LoLz, Latencies less than 8ms is what you should be aiming for?
    The higher the latency, > 8ms, the worse your set will be.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tekki, he wants lower latencies than 8 ms, but his card gets stuck then

8ms ain't that bad tho.

barf, exactly

Quote Originally Posted by barf View Post
    Tekki, he wants lower latencies than 8 ms, but his card gets stuck then

8ms ain't that bad tho.
    Than he should consider writing lower latencies.... not higher.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

didn't he say "latencies less than 8ms" =O

often stucks or sucks?

In case of stucks, up the latency.

That's something he doesn't want to do, since one should avoid going higher than 10 That's why he's asking for alternatives!

Tech Guru

Latency in this context is pure dick measuring and not actually effecting your mix.

First of all, unless you've all set up a computer controlled servo to press a button on your controller and then compared that event to the output audio and calculated the actual latency, all the numbers getting thrown around in here are worthless. You guys are talking about the I/O buffer in your soundcard driver - which in NO WAY gives you a meaningful latency figure (not even the lowest possible latency).

Latency in the context that is actually meaningful to DJs is the latency between a physical movement and the effect of that movement (it's important to define physical here because other senses have different latencies - visual latency is over 100ms for example). The buffer setting for your soundcard doesn't tell you anything about this.

So stop worrying about those numbers. Adjust your latency as low as possible without getting underruns / dropouts). If the buffer needs to be very high in order for your soundcard to run without dropouts, then look into system optimization or a better soundcard. But arguing about the difference between 8ms and 10ms is stupid. Wanna hear what a 2ms difference sounds like? Move one of your speakers 2 feet further than the other one (then if you need to, adjust the levels or balance as needed). That's what a 2ms delay sounds like in real life. Sound travels roughly 11 feet in 10ms. It takes the human brain between 20-30ms to recognize a tonal sequence, and about 50ms to process speech.

You should be much more worried about the I/O capabilities and audio quality of your interface than whether it buffers audio for 8ms or 15ms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast