Virtual DJ VS Tractor Pro - Why not ? - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Tech Student

Hi everybody, i logged in just to reply.

A) I use a VCI-100 (firmware 1.1)(in windows XP and now 7) for Hip-Hop scratching and live control.

B) I use VDJ, because i experienced several crashes with traktor in any version of it (3 and pro). At first i thought it was a firmware issue, but it is not (because i solved it by swithching off/on and restarting traktor) the crashes came while scratching (+ FX + CUE jumping + ... )

C) since I moved to VDJ 6 I've had no crash.

D) VDJ is lighter.

E) It is true that EQ and FX are far better in Traktor.

F) In Traktor you are able to use Boolean variables to Expand you mapping possibilities.

G) In VDJ you map according to VDJ own programing language in which i'm getting into. By now i have infinite cue points, very useful for me.

H) In VDJ you can use 2 sound cards, this is essential.

I know nobody read long posts..neither do i hehehe, but this is my experience,
    with VDJ i improved in stability a lot, no crashes no bullshit just flow.

Quote Originally Posted by krimen View Post
    H) In VDJ you can use 2 sound cards, this is essential.
    i can only think of one reason to use 2 sound cards: 2 cheap 1 master out sound cards in order to make a total of 2 master outs, if you cant get a better sound card

but i hardly find this essential

true. but why not, cheap entry djs are a huge market. once they get to know that it takes more than cheap gear, VDJ comes in handy:

- native support for every midicontroller out there. Also every soundcard. If a controller is not supported natively its totally easy to map with a simple wrapper inside vdj. Get any good soundcard out there and it works. If something gets broken during a gig i just replace it with a backup unit.
    -Its stable as hell without much configuration.VDJ is laid out to work with everything out there
    -No limit to audio only. Karaoke, Video, Slideshows, VJing. All in one unit. Without the need to get a 200 dollar upgrade.
    - free upgrades
    - mapping abilities supperior to traktor imho
    - one can create a own skin/ GUI
    - quantized cuejumps was introduced in 6.0
    -4 decks through multi instances are no problem, even 3 times or 4

Traktor (Scratch) Pro only has tighter sync, waaaaay better fx and 0.5 db more output

But i hope things will get even when V7 arrives. But you all didnt know this from me...
    Samsung R780, Novation Launchpad
    NI AUDIODJ 2, DJTECH IMIX RELOAD, BEHRINGER BCD 3000, KORG NANOPAD
    VESTAX VMC002XL, NUMARK DM3000X, NUMARK TT200
    NI TRAKTOR DUO, VIRTUAL DJ 7 PRO FULL

Nice to see some love for VDJ. I never really understood its bad reputation, although if you really think about it, it most likely came from its butt ugly skin pre V5 (The blue with the turntables), that Hercules controllers* came always with outdated and restricted versions that made many people think it's what the full version is like and of course the lack of big names who endorse the product. I mean Traktor, Serato & Co advertise with names like Carl Cox, while all VDJ has to offer are Coldcut, who are without a doubt legends, but not a household name for da kids.
    But y'know, even with a torrented Version 3 I never had any stability or performance problems. Meanwhile I use a bought Version 6.1 and I still don't have any problems. I tried Traktor once for a while and I'm not saying it's a bad program, but I switched back to VDJ pretty quick.

*Which are also much better than their reputation, although I can see why many DJs refuse to take something with such a cheap plastic case out of the bedroom. At least since RMX/Steel they ditched the plastic.

Really enjoying the balance in this debate, when I saw the title I thought VDJ would get a slating!

It was my first digital DJ program too and I loved it, DJed professionally with it for years. I never took to Traktor because I want the simple things doing with no fuss, and when I first used Serato ITCH I knew I had my program - it's all about the waveforms for me, and in that field both Serato ITCH and VDJ beat Traktor.

I have to admit though, the second that new Traktor controller comes out I am shelling out for one because it looks the business, and I'll put up with any shortcomings in software to have a go on some of what it seems to offer.
    I blog at: Digital DJ Tips and I'm on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook

i don't remember VDJ being able to support 8 hot cues.... *roll eyes*

Because you can have 9 in VDJ. (Maybe more. Never needed more and don't know the keys for everything over 9, if there are any.)

in VDJ, can we have the number of cue points that we want?!!!!

That would be really REALLY awesome

It's seriously misleading, because some skins (even the official ones) have only buttons for 3 or 5, but pushing alt & a number on your keyboard sets a new one. (At least 9. Don't know if the 0 key gives you a 10th and you can maybe do something with other keys too. Like I said, I never needed more than 9.)

Ive tried DVS both in Traktor and VDJ. Perhaps VDJ wasn't properly set-up but it lacked definitely "tightness"... can't be explained. You can tell just by using your hands.
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast