How do you organize your songs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default How do you organize your songs?

I was going through all of my songs and I was just wondering how other people organize their song collection. I used to organize them by genre and within the genre folders i would have all of the artists names. This doesnt seem like its a very effective method so i just wanted other peoples input.

Tech Student

Genre - Camelot Number - Song with BPM in filename.
    Meticulously sorted and tagged.

It really depends on what specific type of DJ you are. If you are more performance oriented this setup is pretty ideal but I guess if you take a lot of requests then sorting by artist is beneficial.

If your filenames are good though you can just run an application called locate32 (if you use windows) and it indexes your entire hard drive's filenames into an instant search and there is no need to organize at that point. Has to update once you add more music though but it doesn't slow down your computer to search if the index is built, absolutely critical for controllerists.

No, use the search feature already

Whatever naming scheme someone uses, there's always a combination missing -- easier to keep things inside iTunes and have album, smart albums and so on...

Clean-
    Dirty-
    Quote Originally Posted by teambama View Post
    Check out what paris hilton is doing. You can learn a few things from her. She just started out as well....

I have a large library of only 1 genre, that is Trance...although there's also different genre of dance music but that's pretty much jumbles up, and another one for the 'pop' songs of all ages...

for my main genre, my categorization looks like this:
    1. year released
    2. the specific style, either harder trance/psy/goa folder or the "best asbestos uplifting/tech trance" folder :P
    3. the latter folder is then further analyzed by "listen 1 time worthy & archive", "worth burning onto CD", and "worth putting in mp3 player"
    4. the "worth burning onto CD" list is getting lesser than few tracks every month

My categorization style took most of my time doing active listening, rather than actually mixed them...i listen beyond the mood as well for nuances & striking appeal mood for each track. been doing this for more than 5 years...

Sorted into genres then within the genres I sort by BPM and Camelot number.
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by speedycake View Post
    Genre - Camelot Number - Song with BPM in filename.
    Meticulously sorted and tagged.

It really depends on what specific type of DJ you are. If you are more performance oriented this setup is pretty ideal but I guess if you take a lot of requests then sorting by artist is beneficial.

If your filenames are good though you can just run an application called locate32 (if you use windows) and it indexes your entire hard drive's filenames into an instant search and there is no need to organize at that point. Has to update once you add more music though but it doesn't slow down your computer to search if the index is built, absolutely critical for controllerists.
    So have the genre folders like i have and ill have filenames with camelot and bpm? That doesnt sound like a bad idea. I usually only use camelot for putting acapellas on tracks. Whats the advantage of using camelot for all songs? By the way, I like to mix electro house, dubstep and progressive house (although i just recently got into dubstep)

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by firebr4nd View Post
    Sorted into genres then within the genres I sort by BPM and Camelot number.
    Quick q on camelot numbers....what if there isn't one? I have a track that is apparently D#m but it's not on the camelot wheel

Use a program called keyfinder, Its free and will detect the key of your song. I have it set to automatically write the camelot number in the file.

Mixing in key I find very helpful, but it is always wise to not let it over-influence your selection. You will notice, especially in house and dubstep, that mixing songs in similar key 4 out of 5 times will sound good together. That does not mean that songs "out of key" will not mix

http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/01/2...-2012-edition/
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast