Production competition?
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Production competition?

Maybe nobody will go for this idea. But I like it.

I think that if multiple people took part in this, we could learn a lot from one another. Let's say we start with a series of parameters and basic guidelines for a track, and then whoever wants to can make their own track based on these simple guidelines.

For example, let's say for one of them the track has to be a basic house track, with a simple 4x4 beat and the use of a 303-ish synth, make use of some common sample, and be three to four minutes long.

Additionally, this could help people broaden their production skills by encouraging them to try to produce styles they hadn't before.

And, say that in general we could have a new set of guidelines to use each week, so that the whole thing would be a fairly quick, but insightful, endeavor.

Just an idea. I suppose it's not really a competition, but a giant collaboration project of sorts.

Any thoughts?
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

this actually sounds like a great idea! i'm not the best producers though, but i think this might help. i'm still learning my way around synths among other stuff.

I'd love to get involved with this, my biggest problem is trying to work fast enough on tunes!
    ...lets go!

Yeah althought a 30 sec up to 1 min limit would be good, a full 3-4 min track with all parts takes a looong time to make for some people (me)
    I used to link music in my signature but nowadays I don't.

It takes a long time for me too, but I think something like this would be really good practice in speeding up workflow, no?

I don't think there should be a limit to length, just time spent. See how much you can get finished in a week! whether that's a 30 second intro or a full blown track doesn't matter, it's gonna be great practice...

Quote Originally Posted by rjw View Post
    I don't think there should be a limit to length, just time spent. See how much you can get finished in a week! whether that's a 30 second intro or a full blown track doesn't matter, it's gonna be great practice...
    Yeah I like that. Seven days to produce whatever you can.

Anyone want to start us off?
    LamboxMusic.com

this is a cool idea

Tech Guru

I like it, even though there is no way I'll actually get a song done in 7 days haha. still havn't completely finished one.

^^ It's all good. Like rjw suggested... it's all good practice.

Alright we'll see if anyone bites. Since no one else seems to have any other ideas, let's say you have to use this sample: http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=36105

As far as bpm goes, let's try something I'm not used to... let's say 125 - 140.

And the only other requirement is that you incorporate some type of acid sounding synth.

(As a late note, let's say that all the samples that are a "requirement" to use have to be public domain, or under the creative commons license).
    Last edited by Lambox; 01-03-2010 at 06:17 PM.
    LamboxMusic.com

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post
    ^^ It's all good. Like rjw suggested... it's all good practice.

Alright we'll see if anyone bites. Since no one else seems to have any other ideas, let's say you have to use this sample: http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=36105

As far as bpm goes, let's try something I'm not used to... let's say 110 to 120.

And the only other requirement is that you incorporate some type of acid sounding synth.

(As a late note, let's say that all the samples that are a "requirement" to use have to be public domain, or under the creative commons license).
    we have to use this sample? not everyone makes psytrance man (jk). and the 110 to 120 restrictions? too many restrictions I say.
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast