Yamaha DD-65 , setup help!

Default Yamaha DD-65 , setup help!

Hey guys, I've had one of these:

knocking about in my house for a while now, and bought a midi-usb cable the other day with the hope of using it to trigger either traktor or ableton. Things is, I can't seem to get it to work. My laptop detects both a usb midi device and a usb audio device when I plug it in but it just doesn't seem to want to control any other programs. I've tried assigning it the control decks in traktor by using the midi learn function but again, upon hitting a pad, nothing happens. Traktor just doesn't pick up any messages from it. The same happens with ableton.

Has anyone got any ideas why this is and how I can fix the problem? Do i need to program the device itself? Help would be great!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JAC View Post
    I've tried assigning it the control decks in traktor by using the midi learn function but again, upon hitting a pad, nothing happens. Traktor just doesn't pick up any messages from it. The same happens with ableton.

My first port of call would be to get a MIDI dumping program, like MidiOX on Windows, to see what messages the device is producing. Once you get a feel for the NoteOn/NoteOff values generated, whether it has velocity, aftertouch, produces CC values and precisely which MIDI channel the mesages are being produced on you can have a go at configuring Ableton Live and Traktor to use these messages.

As Horatio Caine (via Ronald Reagan) says: Trust, but verify.

Cool, I'll give that a try and see how it goes!

Oh and ultra cheesy quote

Ok I am really confused right now. I have the device plugged in and switched on and have opened MidiOx like you suggested, but it still no data is picked up.

I opened the midi devices panel under options and selected USB AUDIO DEVICE for input and the same for output. My other options under output are MS GS Wavetable SW Synth and Midi Mapper. Should I pick one of these?

Sorry if these are pretty basic questions, I haven't got a clue how to work this program!

You need to go back to midiOx web site and download midiYoke. It is an add on for Ox. That will allow you to create virtual midi ports. Which you will turn on in traktor or whatever and tada!
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.