Mapping help!

Thread: Mapping help!

Default Mapping help!

Hey, i basically don't know where to start with creating a mapping of my own. I own a numark stealth control and an oxygen 8. Ive looked at eans mappings and would love to translate most of the vci one onto my stealth but i don't have a clue how to adapt it. Any ideas?

Another approach would be to start from scratch? Any ideas how i could use the 2 controllers? In an ideal world i would like to be able to control 4 decks with loop and cue oint control and then some sweet effect tricks. Any suggestions on how you would lay it out?

Cheers for any help btw , ive hit abit of a block on moving forward atm and i think this and unorganised music is whats causing it!

Tech Wizard

You should start from scratch. Just adopting a pre-made complex mapping to another device is not really doable, even if you have major mapping skillz like me.

Tech Guru

Are you new to TSP mapping interface? Had you alredy mapped anything before?

Exercise 1: If you are new to map (like me 1 month ago) you should start from Ean's Oxygen 8 v2 mapping (or my version of his map). Moding that version you can learn how to work with modifiers and you will understand the Midi Messages better, the Enigma software, etc...

I alredy did it and only after that I could create a map from scratch, I have now developed a better Oxy map for my needs, I wanted to create a map that allows me to discover new FX combinations (chained) and still mix two songs together. With my previews knowlage from the first exercise I could achieve this and you will too if you follow my steps.

Only my advice: forget about the Numark for now, it will do the basics for you and you know that... Focus on the Oxygen. Try to map the keys for cuepoints and see how this will work for you, see if they are responsive enough for your needs. Try to map the knobs to FX combos.

Good luck, if you need any help pm me

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I think the first step you need to take is to decide the basic map of what you want everything to do. I did this on a seperate sheet of paper. I wrote down what main functions I wanted everything to handle and started trying to designate how the modifiers would interact. You have a lot of modifier control, but if you don't know how to efficiently use them they become really limiting.

Kind of going with what V-Hoff said, I'd say map the Numark to do exactly what you want, on its own. Don't get too fancy, but maximize its capability.

THEN break out the Oxygen8 and put it together to do what you want it to do. Play with the modifiers and everything and test it out. It's really a trial and error process and could take you a month of steady work, but by the end of it you'll have a much better idea of what you're doing.

Also, read the MIDI Mapping guide. Trust me.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

My technical read is the Traktor Bible, it helps you understand how the Messages sent by your controller become a function in traktor.
    Basically the steps are:

1. You turn a knob on Oxygen
    2. The Oxygen read the preset Code of your knob on the (.XML) Enigma's Map that is stored inside Oxygen's memory, the current position, the direction you twisted (increase or decrease)
    3. The Oxygen translates all this information to MIDI using the MIDI Protocol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_1.0)
    4. The Oxygen send the MIDI message to your Computer through the USB Cable
    5. Your PC understand that it's a MIDI message send by your Oxygen and uses the Oxygen Driver installed to read the message (I think that's like that)
    6. Your PC send the message to Traktor
    7. The Traktor reads the message and translate it to Actions on the software based on your TSI Map.