New to boards. Heyo!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default New to boards. Heyo!

I know there just so happens to be a stickied post for new DJs to introduce themselves. I have been a part of numerous forum communities (DJTT being the first DJ board I've ever considered joining) and to be completely honest... I've never even give those stickies a second chance what with there being 50+ pages half the time and really... I don't want to go through 50 pages. So who else does?
    I appologize in advance for my arrogance.

Right now I am in Hawai'i on xmas break. It's awesome. I stumbled upon this website during one of my daily google expeditions.
    Excuse my french here but your website is fucking awesome. I love everything I have seen so far.
    And yea. Here I am now.
    What's up?

Jay Yanko, its close enough to my real name. Thanks.
    I live in Calgary, Alberta. It sucks. I planning on moving out to Vancouver this coming fall. Not to sure whether that's a good idea or a bad idea yet. I hear it is rather difficult for new DJs to get a start out there.
    My heart belongs to house. I love my vocals and boy do I ever love my electro.

No productions yet. I am currently getting into some online schooling through berkleemusic.com. Music theory, harmony, and ear training. Going to take some ableton and keyboard classes on the side seeing as all im really good at right now is hitting the play button and turning some knobs on a mixer. But hey I love it and I like to think I'm talented so cut me some slack for now alright

Look forward to chattin with ya all.

Well now.

I, for one, applaude your arrogance. But I'm not sure the moderators will feel the same way.

It's a pleasure to meet you Jay. My name is Gerald, but I go by Req on stage and here. I, too, recently joined this site. I've been a lurker and blog reader for months, but I started to become part of the community weeks ago.

I understand your love for the Electro/House. I'm with you. Do you have any mixes up? Do you use any controllers? What programs do you use?
    MIDI/Effects : Korg KP3 + MIDI-Fighter + SF4 Fight Stick
    Mixer: Behringer DXJ-700
    Card : Stanton ScratchAMP
    Software : Traktor Pro

FYI.
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9782

Mehdi is in Vancouver, I believe.

Tech Convert

Hahaha. I loved that.
    I, for one, applaude your arrogance. But I'm not sure the moderators will feel the same way.
    I hope I didn't piss you guys off too much!

Now here's the thing... I don't use any controllers!
    I have been lookin' into the arcade controller that is add'd on DJTT. It does look rather insane and it does tickle my brain in ways it has never been tickled before.
    I also do not use any programs... Uh oh?
    As of right now I mix with CDJ's. My home setup is 2 pioneer 800MKII's and a DJM400.
    If my budget would allow it I would be rollin with 4 1000MKIII's and a DJM800.

Am I gonna get hated on? I hope not.
    No mixes online yet, what would you recommend for an online hosting site because I would love to throw my sets up online for all the wonderful folk here on the boards.
    To be completely honest, I have been holding back on putting anything up because I want to podcast... I've been holding back on podcasts though because I want a MacBook... but I've been holding back on a MacBook because apparently 2010 is the year of the touchscreen netbook...
    It's all a terribly vicious circle.

I guess with all this holding back though I'm not going to get all that far though am I? :eek:

lulz.

don't feel too bad about the lack of controllers. I used Vinyl specifically until earlier this year when I got tired of lugging around lbs of vinyl. And technically, I didn't have any controller either until I realized that my KP3, which I used solely for effects at the time, was a (not-so-great) Midi controller. If you're using a digital setup (computer) then a midi controller, is vital. It's the only way to do 2 things at once. Imaging doing a mix with only one hand with your CDJ's. Highly limiting. Anyhow.

Touchscreen... meh. I know I go digital, but I need the tactile feel of knobs and buttons. Hell, I needed the vinyl feel to beatmatch properly.

The VCI arcade is pretty sweet. It's somewhat expensive though (for me). Check the "for sale" area of DJTT. good deals on all kinds of stuff.

As far as uploading, theres quite a following for Soundcloud (www.soundcloud.com). I used it once, but my mixes are too long and I'll need to upgrade my account before I can upload more. It would be easier (for me) to just get a website with webspace, which is something I've been meaning to do anyway.

So yeaaah... no one will knock you for not using programs and midi controllers. However, the site often emphasizes techniques and technology regarding those two elements. However... I will say this much: A laptop, a copy of traktor, and a VCI-100 SE Arcade Edition MIGHT be cheaper than 4 1Kmk3's anda an M800. And by might, I mean most definitely is.

Tech Convert

Yea here here to that.
    It's like how the hardcore vinylists wont use anything about vinyl. regardless of how much cheaper, and more efficient cdjs are.
    And now theres digital djing... and its so much cheaper than cdjs, and so much more efficient.
    Huminah.

Welcome guys and merry christmas its official down here.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

You know? It's interesting that you mention that. Because it seems that the evolutions from Vinyl -> CDJ -> DigiDJ, in addition to becoming cheaper and more efficient, also seem to boast a larger more wide spread appeal. I'm not sure if it's a measure of technique necessary to master or just cheaper means more people can afford to take part in this hobby. But it seems like there are tons more people doing this stuff now with their computers and MIDI than there was when the only way to mix was with cassette tapes playing at the same time or vinyl. heh heh... sorry about that. didn't mean to get all philosophical. Ah well.

Now that I think about it, I skipped the CDJ thing completely. I couldn't afford them, lol. I went directly to PC because I could build the perfect machine (I work as an IT Tech during the daytime hours) for mcuh cheaper than any macbook falling off of the back of the craiglist truck. Lol. Not very mobile though.

Which leads me to attempt building the most awesomely micro pc EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    Welcome guys and merry christmas its official down here.
    Merry Christmas!
    and down where?

Also.. was this the first official Merry Christmas on DJTT?

New Zealand Will be the second for 'Tools i believe.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast