mp3gain
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mp3gain

Default mp3gain

what do you normalize your collection to and why?

-94 is what i use mate. Seems to be a good level that doesn't alter the tracks too much.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

I have already used PN to adjust my Gain, however I remember it being mentioned that PN tends to set the level to low. If I decide to re run my tracks via Mp3gain at a later stage will I have a quality loss as opposed to having just run them via Mp3gain initially.

i.e Having been normalised twice!

@xolunt

I noticed on a club system that my PN_tracks seemed to be a bit low in comparison to my beat port tracks that have yet to be processed

i was wondering the same thing about re-processing my tracks. according to the folks at mp3gain the process is lossless because no decoding or encoding is necessary.

Mp3 gain doesn't re-encode tracks or anything, so putting them through after PN is fine. But TBH if you've used PN already there's really no need, but i did it as i found the volume to be too low.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Still not got PN or MP3 Gain, if you were to recommend either of these programs which would it be? rather than put them through PN then have to redo them because they are too low?

Tech Guru

I use Platinum Notes 2.0 myself, and love it. It normalizes my files all to -13dB and from there, I just adjust the gain on my mixer to whatever is appropriate for adequate sound output. Everything is pretty much at the same volume.

Also, the new Platinum Notes 3.0 beta is bad ass:

More settings, customization, etc. Yakov is on the ball with this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post
    I use Platinum Notes 2.0 myself, and love it. It normalizes my files all to -13dB and from there, I just adjust the gain on my mixer to whatever is appropriate for adequate sound output. Everything is pretty much at the same volume.

Also, the new Platinum Notes 3.0 beta is bad ass:

More settings, customization, etc. Yakov is on the ball with this stuff
    ok might check that out, I do need to run my collection via this sort of program as I have noticed some v loud tracks and some downright quiet ones, admittedly I do EQ when mixing and most times it comes out okay, but would prefer things to be on an even playing field

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ciar2001 View Post
    ok might check that out, I do need to run my collection via this sort of program as I have noticed some v loud tracks and some downright quiet ones, admittedly I do EQ when mixing and most times it comes out okay, but would prefer things to be on an even playing field
    For sure, I myself like everything to be untainted EQ wise (no augmented frequencies which drown out detail) and like my dB levels to be as flat and stable across the board as possible, Platinum Notes is great for that

The newer version really pushes it to the next level by making the process user specific as opposed to a minimal interface which automates a static set process.

Tech Guru

A question about PN: I got the impression from their website that processing files with their software re-encodes files. Is this true? If it does dynamics processing, eq processing and whatnot, I don't see any way around a re-encode. That's not a problem for lossless files, but with MP3s that's a big no-no. I know MP3Gain doesn't re-encode. What's the final word??
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast