Telling a story! Taking your listeners on a musical journey! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    Thanks Xtian, i'll have a listen tonight .
    yeah dude, if youve never had the pleasure of listening to one of doc's sets, you should. its kinda crazy cause his sets have very subtile changes yet somehow, drastic ones.

although he never gets credit for it, hes America's Sasha in a way and imo, hes better at what he does than Sasha could ever be.

And I think Sasha is amazing.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xtianw View Post
    downloand and listen to this.

http://sublevelcalifornia.com/main/w...s_Sublevel.mp3

nobody knows how to tell a story with music the way youre describing, better than Doc Martin

How the hell have I not heard that Red Room song before this!?!?!?!?!

Well hello Beatport, how are you this morning?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Banned

Dennis Ferrer?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    Dennis Ferrer?
    Yep, and I usually give a listen to his stuff, just this song must have slipped through the cracks.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

@coldfusion
    It's not really the storytelling. I'd say keep the mixes "smart". It could have to do with a whole genre, or a "feeling".

I used to say the same thing, but I think that only works well with mixtapes IMHO. I have a couple of mixtapes based one a single subject, but it doesn't always translate over well into a club environment. You may control the floor, but it may not be what everyone else may want to hear at that moment. Just read your crowd (like a proper DJ should), and see what'll work, and what won't. It'll change everytime.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Yep, and I usually give a listen to his stuff, just this song must have slipped through the cracks.
    Yeah, that one has been flying under the radar for some time, not as much hype as Hey Hey, but a solid track none the less

Tech Guru

What you are talking about is the lost are of the "album." Music is being produced and consumed as "singles" (if you're lucky). Sometimes, it helps to look outside the specific genre you are most comfortable with to get a better feel for how to compose a good set.

The prototypical example of the "album as musical journey" is Pink Floyd's "The Wall". IMO, the best example of the album as musical journey is Boston's "Third Stage". It listens like one really long track...but manages to be fresh and captivating all the way through. (On the upside, I happen to really like Boston's music...but that is just a bonus in this case.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12