DJ Tech Tools Gig Swap? (Residency holders)

Default DJ Tech Tools Gig Swap? (Residency holders)

So I have noticed that a fair few of us have residencies on this board, including myself, but that not everyone gets a lot of out of state gigs, and have known a lot of guys that talent swap with friend in other cities.

Whats a gig swap?

A gig swap is when you bring in someone who is a local in another city, usually on their own dime to headline your residency, and they in turn bring you to play at their residency also on your dime.

Whats in it for me?

Playing new gigs in different cities gets your name out there, and can be great experience by getting to perform in front of a crowd that would very likely never get to see you otherwise.

So any interest in something like this? Lots of very talented guys on here, and it could be a good way for people to get their name out there in a market thats out of their regional scope.

About my residency: I play 9pm to 4am every friday at a nightclub/strip club in downtown denver. We have me on stage djing, and the girls on a couple stages. Our format is whatever gets the crowd moving, but nothing too hardcore. For example, I usuallly play a few hours of minimal then move into tech house then more housey stuff then either some more banging tech house or electro house or top 40 electro house remixes throw in.

Edit: the headlining slot would be from 2-4, as thats when we are packed.
    Last edited by Street Knowledge; 04-17-2011 at 03:39 AM.

Sounds like a very interesting idea!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    Sounds like a very interesting idea!
    Yeah, if I wanted to have someone with 38 posts come play for me when I know nothing about him.
    Live Gear : MacBook Pro 13" & 15" (depends which one I grab), Kontrol S4, Midi-Fighter, Shure SRH750DJ, Dedication.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    itajen just told Chilly to read the fucking manual... lol
    *takes hat off and bows to itajen*
    Be the change you want to see in the world.

Jay come play at my residency!

OnTopic: So lets get this right, you come play at my residency, get my pay, and my bitchez, and i turn up and some back alley cos you dont have one and gave me a BS address?
    OK!!
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    Jay come play at my residency!

OnTopic: So lets get this right, you come play at my residency, get my pay, and my bitchez, and i turn up and some back alley cos you dont have one and gave me a BS address?
    OK!!
    Nope, not how it works at all. This isnt a gig stealing thread, but thanks for pointing it out.

If you were to swap, it would be to play in a new city an thats it. I play your gig, you get paid what you usually do with the added bonus of being able to hear a new dj / book them as a headliner which increases the value of your night. If you get paid off the door, as many residencies do, this just increases your take. When you play in the city you are going to, its for exposure and to return the favor the other dj did for you.

This also isnt meant to be an idea just for me, but DJTT posters who would like to get out to other cities and play in different venues.
    Last edited by tekki; 04-17-2011 at 06:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    Im the official troller, if you had more than 40 posts and were a termer on this forum you would know,
    But how do we know you even have a resi? for all i know your mixtape could be from mixcloud, you come in on my time and my pay, to get an easy first/second gig, trainwreck the place, and i lose my spot..
    First "your pay" is a non issue, and read the OP more carefully to see what I mean.

But I do see the point you are making. There would have to be a way to verify someone before you flew out on your own dime to play a gig. I suppose this isnt meant for djs who have an hour slot every week, or djs who only occasionally play out. Contracts and riders would easily sort this all out though.

And while I do realize I am new to this board, I have lurked a long time and been djing much longer.

Again this isnt a thread just for me, this is for everyone. I dont care if you dont like my music or my mixes, if one pair of DJTT members get a cool swap out of it that would be awesome imo.
    Last edited by tekki; 04-17-2011 at 06:12 AM.

Tech Wizard

Hoodless, you DJ for the wrong reasons and go out for the wrong reasons. When I play to a crowd I play music I love to people who like to dance. When I go out I go out to see DJ's I like to see play the genres I like.

Street Knowledge I think it's a good idea if you can get it to work.

Do not feed the trolls!
    Last edited by DJ Shifty Sheep; 04-17-2011 at 06:05 AM.

Cleaning up thread!
    Last edited by tekki; 04-17-2011 at 06:09 AM.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    Cleaning up thread!
    Thank you!

Feel free to delete my posts that only address his trolling.

Its a cool idea and I've done it with a few friends from out of state and wanted to put the idea into the collective consciousness of DJTT, always worked out to be a fun time, and positive for everyone.
    Last edited by Street Knowledge; 04-17-2011 at 06:14 AM.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Sounds like an interesting idea to me if some of the people with actual residencies and not occasional slots can work it out.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x