Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    F*ckn amen!!!
    Break.

Ba-dum-tish.

Quote Originally Posted by Archies'bald View Post
    Break.

Ba-dum-tish.
    Doesn't it actualluy go "dum-dum-tchk-a-tchk-a-shiki-tchk"?
    "Tell me what I need to be a DJ so I can f*ck the prom queen"
    Biru on Soundcloud
    Biru on Facebook

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kiino View Post
    ok so from my understanding the better the gear the less audio quality is "taken away" not the opposite where the better the gear the more audio quality is added? (sorry if that was confusing) since ultimately its the source file that defines the quality?
    Pretty much. Actually the weakest link in the whole audio chain defines the quality (of course a bad source will give bad results, in the same way a cheap mixer, crappy speakers/PA or poor gain staging will cripple the audio)

Quote Originally Posted by biru View Post
    Doesn't it actualluy go "dum-dum-tchk-a-tchk-a-shiki-tchk"?

^^^^

Hair Splitter!

But that would be correct...
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Quote Originally Posted by MuzicFreq View Post
    O_o why the DVJ and not CDJ? DVJs are for video mixers......
    well me and my bro were talking about pioneers as the top of the line brands. but i dont really know much about high end pioneer stuff so i just looked up the most expensive one X) my bad but u know what I mean

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Pretty much. Actually the weakest link in the whole audio chain defines the quality (of course a bad source will give bad results, in the same way a cheap mixer, crappy speakers/PA or poor gain staging will cripple the audio)

I have a Numark M6USB.... how much will that degrate my sound?

Progressive Dutch House
    Tumblr Music Blog
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Exactly. At uni we used to say that your end sound quality is only as good as the weakest link in the signal chain.

@ OP, if your question is about the mixer specifically, then your brother is right in a way, because the audio circuitry of a 'better' mixer should be superior. The dynamic range, distortion, and crossfeed between channels will all be better spec'd in a high end pioneer than some behringer piece of crap.

But, you're right that this is usually not what 'most' people are paying for, its the effects, features, etc...

You're both right in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Wild View Post
    Exactly. At uni we used to say that your end sound quality is only as good as the weakest link in the signal chain.

@ OP, if your question is about the mixer specifically, then your brother is right in a way, because the audio circuitry of a 'better' mixer should be superior. The dynamic range, distortion, and crossfeed between channels will all be better spec'd in a high end pioneer than some behringer piece of crap.

But, you're right that this is usually not what 'most' people are paying for, its the effects, features, etc...

You're both right in a way.
    hmmmm. haha hopefully me and my bro will come to this kind of agreement.
    thanks alot guys!

Progressive Dutch House
    Tumblr Music Blog
    SoundCloud

Tech Guru

Yeah, you're kinda both right. I wouldn't think of it that an audio chain is only degrading things away along the route though. It was only mentioned briefly, but coloring of audio is HUGE with regards to how we subjectively think a piece of equipment sounds. Manufacturers build their names on the way their equipment colors the sound. So there are a couple angles to consider. As mentioned, "garbage in, garbage out" - shitty files and/or a bad piece of gear will be a weak link. When it comes to gear, the elements that make it sound bad or good have everything to do with the quality of circuitry, AD/DA converters, connectors, filter and eq curves, whether its analog or digital, etc. Some people might prefer a certain sound, but it's extremely subjective. Cards like the Audio X DJ series (and quality cards in general) are designed to reproduce the source fairly accurately, but their frequency response isn't necessarily flat. AX DJ's are designed to sound punchy and enhance frequencies that sound good to a dj. My AK1 uses the same converters, but does not sound like an Audio 8.

Don't forget about summing, where it happens in the chain, and by what equipment. This is where all of your channels are mixed together before hitting the master. Summing intricacies can have a major effect on how people perceive the sound. This is another major reason people might love a certain analog mixer. Not just the sound on a solo channel, but the way things sound when mixed together; the subtle distortions, perceived space between sounds, etc. Some producers swear by expensive outboard summing boxes, rather than mixing entirely within the computer - there's a growing market for those kinds of units.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Kyoti View Post
    Yeah, you're kinda both right. I wouldn't think of it that an audio chain is only degrading things away along the route though. It was only mentioned briefly, but coloring of audio is HUGE with regards to how we subjectively think a piece of equipment sounds. Manufacturers build their names on the way their equipment colors the sound. So there are a couple angles to consider. As mentioned, "garbage in, garbage out" - shitty files and/or a bad piece of gear will be a weak link. When it comes to gear, the elements that make it sound bad or good have everything to do with the quality of circuitry, AD/DA converters, connectors, filter and eq curves, whether its analog or digital, etc. Some people might prefer a certain sound, but it's extremely subjective. Cards like the Audio X DJ series (and quality cards in general) are designed to reproduce the source fairly accurately, but their frequency response isn't necessarily flat. AX DJ's are designed to sound punchy and enhance frequencies that sound good to a dj. My AK1 uses the same converters, but does not sound like an Audio 8.

Don't forget about summing, where it happens in the chain, and by what equipment. This is where all of your channels are mixed together before hitting the master. Summing intricacies can have a major effect on how people perceive the sound. This is another major reason people might love a certain analog mixer. Not just the sound on a solo channel, but the way things sound when mixed together; the subtle distortions, perceived space between sounds, etc. Some producers swear by expensive outboard summing boxes, rather than mixing entirely within the computer - there's a growing market for those kinds of units.
    wow great in depth analysis Zac I would mos def keep that in mind now when I'm looking getting better equipment.

what are your thoughts on the converting output quality of a numark m6 usb?

Progressive Dutch House
    Tumblr Music Blog
    SoundCloud

why are you arguing. if it gets you the bitches your doing it right

if you clear a dance floor in 30 seconds flat; u dont need them! but they need muzic!

most importantly GET ALL THE BITCHES!
    -Yours truly, The Duck. We all love to f**k a Duck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast